Aurora University Weekend Student Get-Aways

Want to get away for the weekend with your AU friends but not familiar with the area? Here's some ideas!

32
google

If you live in Aurora or in the Kane county area and want to get away for the weekend, but don't want to drive more than three hours, here are some weekend getaways you must try.

We all know how stressful school can be. By the time the weekend comes, you can't wait to get away for a while. In high school this was an easy task because you knew what was in the area. When you go off to college you could move from hours, even states away. Being from the area, I will let you in on some weekend destinations that I think are worth the drive.

Times based on leaving Aurora University.

1. Starved Rock, 1hr 14 min

With waterfalls, the Illinois River and 13 miles of walking or biking trails, what more could you ask for? Cabins to stay the whole weekend? They have those too; book your trip with some friends to spend the whole weekend. You could even rent a boat, and check out what the local towns have to offer. If the cabin isn't your thing for the whole weekend, there are also hotels, one of which includes an indoor water park.

2. Lake Geneva, WI. 1hr 40min

This is home to Aurora University's George Williams campus. This isn't without good reason. Lake Geneva can be enjoyed in any season. While it contains an eight square mile lake in the center of town, this isn't all it has to offer. You could enjoy the walking path that follows the outer banks or take a tour on boat to see the beautiful mansions surrounding Lake Geneva. Downtown is filled with cute shops, bars, and souvenir shops to keep you busy. If you like horses, they also have a stable about 15 minutes from town that offers trail rides.

Lake Geneva Contains many hotels to stay for the weekend, some of which include indoor water parks, to others which have poolside bars walking distance from the lake.

Be sure to try the Popeyes on the lake if you go!

3. Chicago,1hr 36 min

As you likely know, Chicago is Illinois' largest city, though Aurora is the second. These cities have many differences. Chicago has many things to offer, such as the free Lincoln Park Zoo, The Bean, Navy Pier, Wrigley field, Solider Field, North Ave. Beach and many city events. Be sure to check out the "Free Days" for some of the Chicago Museum before you head that way!

Chicago is home to many hotels for overnight stays, or the entire weekend. You can always just take the train here for one day as well. (If you go on the weekend, your train ticket is good all weekend!)

4. The I and M canal, 30min

The I & M canal is a bike trail located in Ottawa Illinois. The Illinois and Michigan State trail is good for both walkers or bikers. This is more of a day trip than a weekend, but they also have camping opportunities. This 70 mile scenic route runs along the I & M Canal at water edge.

This place could be a biker's dream.

5.Sycamore Speedway, 35min

The Sycamore Speedway is never a bad way to spend a Friday or Saturday night, and at only 35 minutes from Aurora, this is a great destination for the night. Maybe if you like it enough by October, you can get involved in the "run what you bring night." A demolition derby is never a bad choice either. Spend the night watching dirt fly!

6. Joliet Speedway(Chicago Land), 51min

If you liked the last destination, I'm sure you will love this one.

Even if you're not into racing, this can make for a cool day experience, or even weekend if you're interested in their camping options.

7. New Buffalo Beach, Mi. 2hr 7min

This cute town of New Buffalo makes for a good weekend trip. With New Buffalo Beach offering fishing trips, wine tasting and boat rentals, this would be a good weekend get away on the water.

8. Six flags Great America, 1hr 28min

Located in Gurnee Illinois. More than just an amusement park, Six Flags also includes a water park for guests. You can enjoy 304 acres of fun at this park. Check out Coke cans to save while buying tickets.

KeyLime Cove is a hotel located in Gurnee, along with Six Flags, if you wanted to make this a weekend trip.

(Inside KeyLime Cove)

9. Route 34 Drive in, 49min

Located in Earlville, Illinois, this is a great way to see a new movie. This theater shows two movies a night starting at dusk. So grab a friend with a truck bed or some lawn chairs and make your way out to see some movies, look at the stars, and enjoy their food options!

10. Sandwich Fair, 45min

Wednesday, Sep 7-11, 2016, don't miss this fair! Being only 45 minutes from Sandwich, this is a must at the beginning of the school year. The fair offers tractor/truck pulls, big-name country concerts, demolition derbies and much more. The fair is a great place to come out to get a funnel cake and ride some awesome carnival rides.