To My Aunt Who Was More Like My Second Mom

My Aunt Never Had Children, But She Still Stepped Up To Be My 'Second Momma' When I Needed Her

You treated me as your own.

385
Hollis Kelley

My Aunt Diane is one of the most hardworking, diligent, beautiful, and most inspiring women I believe the world has to offer.

She has faced several challenges throughout her years, and she has never let her challenges define her. She works long days and long nights, and although she truly doesn't make that much money, you would never tell a difference in her happiness. She works hard for every single dime she makes, and she is always willing to go above and beyond for those she loves and she has truly proven that to me.

My aunt hasn't always had it easy, and I believe the inability to produce her own children must have been one of the hardest things she has ever dealt with, which is heartbreaking because of how badly she wanted her own. Despite this heartbreaking problem, she was a motherly figure for me and a dang good one at that.

When my parents separated, the judge ruled them both unfit to raise me because of the arguing and other issues they were having. To save my brother and me from being placed in foster care, my aunt took us in. She was not thoroughly prepared to take on this challenge because raising two kids isn't cheap, but she took us in, anyway.

She has not only given me the best years, but she has permanently left a mark on me that I will hold onto forever.

She bought us as much as she could, she took us to fun places, she gave us a hot meal every day, she dressed us in nice clothes, and she raised two children who weren't her own, but you would never have known the difference.

My aunt willingly took us in to raise us, and she didn't care about her financial or personal situation. She gave us the best few years, and I will be forever grateful for her. She had us for about two years. I was pretty young, but I know she made us feel loved and protected and I loved living with her.

After the two years, my dad gained full custody of my brother and me again, and he did step up to the job of raising us. Trust me, I give him all the credit he deserves for turning his life around, but it's only fair that my aunt gets credit to for everything she did for us.

It was heartbreaking for us to leave and it was heartbreaking for my aunt to let go, but she stayed strong. She always came to visit, and she never missed a holiday. She was always there. She took us on trips and made sure that we still knew how much we loved her, even if we weren't living with her anymore.

My aunt is not only my mom's sister, she's not just my grandma's daughter, and she's just not your average aunt. My aunt is my heart in human form. My aunt has had such a rollercoaster ride of a life, due to so many obstacles she faced during her years, and I can not do anything but praise her for who she is today because she got her on her own she made it happen on her own.

My aunt is truly one of the most special people in my life, who I have grown to look at as my second mother. She may not have birthed me, but she was an attendant in my life as often as she could be. She stepped up when my parents could not, and she gave me the best life she could and I have her to thank for who I am today. Her drive is unbelievable and she will steal your heart as she has forever stolen mine.

To this day, I consider my aunt so much more than just my aunt. I am so inspired by her, and I love her to the end of time. I can go to her with anything, and she will listen she won't judge she helps me supports me and never fails to remind me how beautiful or proud of me she is and she has no clue how much those words really mean to me. She is my best friend, my second momma, my everything. I love my Aunt Diane, forever and always, and I truly thank her for being such a special impact on my earlier years and life today.