4 Of My Favorite Pop And R&B Songs From My August Playlist

In my eyes, music = serotonin.

76
YouTube

Much like my fellow Millennials, I love music. New music, old music - I love it all (except for like... Emo Death Metal... yikes). My personal favorite genre of music is a tie between Pop and R&B. Pop is for when I'm in a good mood and want a good party, while R&B calms me down and sometimes makes me cry.

Now, if you're a music lover like me, then you make monthly playlists. Making monthly playlists allows me to get a good listen to the new songs of the month and include some older songs to set the mood for the month. Now that we're about halfway through August, I've decided to list some of my favorites from this month's playlist.

1. "As I Am" - H.E.R.

H.E.R. is an R&B singer whose voice is as smooth as butter. She's popular for her songs "Focus" and "2." This song is from an EP she released earlier in August, which alludes to a sophomore album coming soon. This song has R&B written all over it. In this song, she's telling her lover to take her as she is and that they're a fool for not taking her as she is because she is "the best they're ever gonna get" which sets the confident mood I want for August.

2. "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves

Okay, this is literally the only country song I can listen to and actually enjoy. I think because Kacey incorporated elements of pop and country making the song easy to listen to (for me). Not to mention, the song is catchy as hell. If any artist has to serve as the threshold for me to listen to (enjoyable) country music, it would be Kacey Musgraves. This song is basically a call-out song where Kacey calls out someone who is always on their "high horse" and they should "ride straight out of town on your high horse."

3. "Girls Night Out" - Charli XCX

I know a lot of people shunned Charli XCX after "Boom Clap." but now she's become a cult favorite. She has been releasing Pop music that I can only classify as "Alt-Pop." It's like a weird mix of EDM, Pop, and Alternative. I can't describe it perfectly, but I do know it makes for a good party. This song is just fun and upbeat and can be used as a 'getting ready' song or just a party song. This song is a perfect club song because it has a steady beat, a catchy, repetitive chorus, and a good "dance break" moment in the bridge.

4. "God is a Woman" - Ariana Grande

If you know me, then you know I love Ariana with the utmost passion. If you don't know me: Hi, I'm Colin, and I stan Ariana Grande. This song came out late in July, but I had to cross it over to August because it fits the "flirty, confident, and fun" mood I wanted to exude in August. This song bleeds confidence. Ariana is advocating for the sexual empowerment of women with the song and the video. In the line "It lingers when we're done, you'll believe God is a woman" she implies that she's so good in bed that her lover would believe that he experienced "God's work." This is the exact type of confidence and empowerment I look for in a song.

I know that listing four songs may seem too few, but I just wanted to give everyone a taste of what type of music I listen to and what vibe I try to go for when picking songs to listen to.

If you wish to listen to the rest of my August playlist, you can click here and it will take you to Spotify (sorry Apple Music Listeners).