Why Attending My Small, Liberal Arts College Was The Best Decision I've Ever Made

I love my home away from home.

20
Paige Dean

College is a huge investment; in time, in money, and in the most valuable years of your life. The decision to find that "perfect" college is overwhelming, in the simplest terms. You're facing pressure both externally and internally, and it feels as though all eyes are on you as you grapple with the the decision that will ultimately affect the rest of your life.

I knew I wanted to attend a small college from the start. Personally, if I was going to a big school, you would find me in a fetal position crying somewhere because I wouldn't be able to find my classes. The "big school" lifestyle never appealed to me, and although I was sure of myself, I still felt different. Many of my classmates in high school were making decisions to attend schools like the University of Michigan and Michigan State, and I couldn't help but wonder if I was going to be missing out on something.

If you're currently attending a small school and doubting your decision, or if you're looking at small schools and feel apprehensive: don't. Here's why.

Have you ever heard the saying, "it's better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond"? That saying directly applies to attending a small university. The small college experience is truly one of a kind. l know I sound like a commercial, but it's honestly the truth. Nothing is better than going into an environment where you can individually create your own experience.

Attending a small school allows you to make decisions based off of what would be best for you individually, both academic and socially. You have the ability to make your own clubs, be right hand to the Director of Admissions, and see the President of the University daily. You call your professors by their first names, and you actually get to know them as people because there's only twenty-something students in the class.

I love the fact that I can walk into our University Center on campus and know every person in the building. Hearing "hey, how are you" or "how was practice" as you walk around campus makes you feel as though you're a part of something so much bigger than yourself. The star football player? He's one of your friends. The leading point scorer on the women's basketball team? She sits right next to you in class. The sense of community and closeness that I feel at my school is something that I cherish immensely.

If you're looking to attend a small university, I am so excited for you. Get ready to have the best years of your life, with some of the best people you will ever meet. The opportunities to succeed are endless, and I hope you seize every chance to be great at your small, liberal arts college.