10 Reasons Young Life Camp Should Be On Your Bucket List

It really is the best week of your life

255
Julie Myers

To start things off, let me just say there are way more than ten reasons to go to Young Life camp this summer.

Your leaders have probably been hyping it up for months, fundraising as much as possible to get you and your friends to go. They're all over you for a deposit, they show you the hype videos, and they try to convince you that it truly is the best week of your life. You might be on the fence about going, and if so, this list is for you.

10. Club times a thousand

Remember your biggest club ever -- all the people in the room playing ridiculous games, screaming the best songs at the top of their lungs, and a talk from your leader that hits you right in the heart -- and remember how much fun it was. Bigger is better, right? So imagine club with 300+ other kids singing and dancing and goofing off. That's all I'm going to say.

9. Camp crush

Yes, you may meet the love of your life at camp. Or not. You could develop a small crush on someone you've had two conversations with or someone you just admire from across the room. Regardless, you might find yourself giving them a spoon at a mealtime by the end of the week and getting a new follower on Instagram (ooo la la).

8. So many ACTIVITIES

Each camp is unique in the activities that it offers. A lot of times these camps show off some of their special features in their hype videos. For example, Timberwolf Lake has zip lines, high ropes, go karts, and a GIANT swing. Saranac Village has parasailing, tubing, and tons of other waterfront activities. There is nothing that you can do on vacation that you can't enjoy just as much at these campsites. And get this: there's even MORE than what's been mentioned!

7. Loose schedule

A lot of camps follow a specific structured schedule that seems like it can't be bent even a little bit. However, Young Life camp is definitely not one of those camps. There is still plenty of free time in each day to do the things you enjoy, whether that be swimming, just hanging around with friends, or playing a pick up game. There's even time to take a nap if it's what you desire. There are definitely activities throughout the day, as well as a planned club, but every hour of the day isn't taken from you if you were concerned about that. You still have time to unwind and do you.

6. New friends

Not only are you and your friends from your school going, but there are hundreds -- probably over 300+ -- other kids from schools in your surrounding area going as well! Unless you know everyone, that's a TON of new friends for you to make while you're away on your trip. If you're concerned with finding the time, don't even sweat it. There will be plenty of time to make as many friends as you so please while you're there. Who doesn't love meeting new people and making friends?

5. Resort life

Not just any resort, but a resort worth 30 million dollars, hand picked by the Young Life committee. There are other million dollar resorts that don't pass the test or live up to Young Life's standards, so you've got to know that they're only picking the very best for camp. What's even better is you get to stay there and have the best week of your life with hundreds of other kids for a price much lower than if you were to go there when it was still being used as a resort. It's definitely like a week getaway trip -- you'll wish you never had to leave.

4. No parents

Come on, you can't say that this isn't slightly appealing. This entire trip is miles away with your parents no where in sight. You're practically roaming free with your friends and leaders, enjoying all of the activities and plans without a care in the world. You don't have to worry about washing the dishes or cleaning your cabin because it's taken care of for you! You just get to enjoy your week with very few rules -- how awesome is that?

3. Food

Nothing can compare to the food at Young Life camp. I won't spoil any of the delicious meals, but just know that each meal is practically a feast. If you want more, there will always be more right there waiting. On top of that, each day and meal there is something different to eat. The same meal is not served twice. You'll just have to go to know what yummy surprises wait in store for you.

2. Surprises

They are literally everywhere. Every day something new and exciting happens, topping the day before. Whether it's in regards to food or fun, you will never stop being surprised the entire week. You'll be surprised in the best of ways, so much so that you'll be eager to find out what is happening next and what the next surprise will be. It's an incredible rollercoaster of crazy fun things, which is what Young Life is all about. I definitely can't spoil anything and neither will your leaders -- you'll just have to go to know.

1. It truly is the best week of your life

No gimmicks. No catches. This week is incredible in every way. Imagine the best club that you've ever been to during the school year, but a million times better. If you haven't been to club, then imagine the best vacation you've gone on, but a million times better. Imagine inviting all your best friends to come and spending an entire week of fun with them with maybe two rules and no parents.

It's a teenage dream. In fact, Young Life is so confident that it will be the best week of your life that if it isn't, sometimes they say they'll give you your money back if it's not. You may latch on to that now if you're a hater, but I promise after camp you'll forget that was even offered and you'll just want to give them more money for more camps in the future.

Talk to your leader if you're interested, but I promise you that you'll have no regrets having gone to camp. It's an incredible, life-changing experience that will give you memories to last a lifetime. Now get the deposit in and go to camp!