The Injured-Athlete

The Injured-Athlete

Injuries are part of every sport.

150
The Injured-Athlete
Askenas Chiropractic

Regardless of the sport one participates in, there is always a risk of injury. Injuries are prevalent in most sports, and unfortunately, many athletes experience a point in their athletic career in which they are unable to compete due to injury. As an athlete, and one who has had multiple injuries, I personally don't think that anything is more mentally and emotionally challenging than being "side-lined" because of an injury.

No one likes to be a spectator for their own sport. And while it's probably best that you sit out and let your body heal, there's always a feeling of guilt because you feel like your injury is letting your teammates down. Additionally, there's always a fear that maybe your team doesn't believe that you're truly injured and maybe you're just trying to get out of hard practices; the injured athlete plays mental games with him/herself, ultimately doing more harm than good, psychologically.

Now, not only does the athlete hurt physically, but mentally and emotionally, too. As someone who's had to sit out an entire season due to surgery, I know first-hand what it's like to have an injury get the best of you. I felt anger, anxiety, denial, guilt and sadness. I felt like, without my sport, I didn't have an identity. My life during the time before and after my surgery completely revolved around my sport. Once I had surgery and was unable to participate in the one thing that I felt gave me purpose in life, I really didn't know what to do, how to feel, or how to act. It seemed that all the hard work that I put in during previous seasons mean't nothing and that all my training was a waste of time.

My self-esteem dropped tremendously after I had surgery. My sport allowed me to challenge myself, master new skills and provided a continual source of positive reinforcement feedback. But now, unable to challenge myself and get stronger each day, I felt that I wasn't able to accomplish anything. I wasn't satisfied and there was no evidence that any hard work that I was doing (sport related or not) was paying off.

Additionally, my sport was a way for me to get away from the stresses and anxieties in my life. My sport was my safe haven; it was peaceful to me. But, unable to participate due to injury, I had no way of alleviating my stress. This was, by far, the hardest part about not being able to play my sport. This was undoubtedly one of the hardest times in my life, and I know other athletes have probably experienced the same.

For those of you who may be going through it right now, you just have to be patient, be positive and know that once you're able to play again, you'll come back better and stronger than ever. You're not alone. Injuries build character and you will learn to be mentally tough.

I was unfortunate with the amount of injuries I have had during the prime of my career but to be honest, I have learned a lot about myself. Being an athlete is not easy. In order to see what talents we have we have to push our bodies to do things that most people wouldn’t think to do. With that, injuries arise and how we handle them shows the true character that we have. Stay tough, smart, and focused and you will get back! GET AFTER IT!

-- Carrie Tollefson, Olympic runner