Assassin's Creed Slays On The Big Screen

This is one videogame movie that actually delivers

10
GeeksandCom

Videogame movies are notoriously known for neither living up to the games that inspired them, nor coming into their own as entertainment. Critics know this, and respond accordingly. And most of the time it’s warranted. Gamers still have nightmares from 1993’s disastrous attempt at bringing the world’s favorite plumbers to the big screen. But this is not the case with Justin Kurzel’s Assassin’s Creed. The adaptation from the popular game series developed by Ubisoft is a solid fantasy/action movie, and while it doesn’t match up perfectly, it stays true to spirit of the videogames.

We follow two timelines, Cal Lynch’s life in the modern world, a criminal with a troubled family history, and that of his ancestor, Aguilar de Nerha in 1492 Spain. Both characters are played by Michael Fassbender. The story centers around the continuous struggle between two secret organizations, the Templars and the Assassins, and Lynch’s journey to find his destiny in the larger story between them. Jeremy Irons’ Alan Rikkin and Marion Cotillard’s Sofia portray father and daughter Templars in the present day who are trying to unlock Cal’s past to find the legendary Apple of Eden, which will lead to control over mankind’s free will.

The overarching Sci-Fi narrative may give some pause, but Kurzel does a good job grounding it for the casual viewer. This is done largely through Cal Lynch, a newcomer to the universe as much as the audience. The new assassin has to learn to use and accept the Animus, a claw-like mechanism that he plugs into, allowing him to experience the memories of Aguilar. Fassbender is fantastic, commanding attention in the present as an angry, cynical killer. And he gives everything he has in the beautiful visuals and frantic action of the past storyline as well. Both he and Ariane Labed, who played Aguilar’s partner, did 95% of the fights in the films themselves.

These scenes are what keep the film moving. Rooftop chases, improbable escapes, and high-stakes fights ensure the audience wants Lynch to plug back into the Animus almost as much as the Templars do. The action in Assassin’s Creed is refreshing after superhero film after superhero film. While the assassins are still performing incredible physical feats, the gritty tone, parkour, and lack of CGI make for violence that actually feels like it carries weight. And how characters react to violence is a dominant theme throughout the film. It brings up questions of free will, genetics, and what means are justifiable, with a wide range of ideals between the Assassins and Templars, and even amongst themselves.

The dominance of the Spain scenes actually does a disservice to the end of the film, however, after Cal comes out of the Animus for the last time. This is when most of the fighting occurs in the present, and it does not feel quite as vital to the plot. There are also elements in the modern setting that feel a little too much like young adult fiction. And while family legacy is important in the story, some revelations learned late in the film leave some unanswered questions about the Lynch family. Diehard purists of the games also might take some offense over a few of the changes made. But it’s a different medium, and taking liberties in inevitable.

All of these reservations aside, Assassin’s Creed is engaging, and strong performances ease the audience into all the technology and jumps in time. The physical jumps the characters take are part of the wonderfully executed, action-packed vision of Justin Kurzel, particularly a 125-ft. free fall that fans of the videogames will recognize. But the moral ambivalence between the Assassins and Templars ensure this is not just another light versus dark matchup, but about the grey area, where we actually live.