4 Aspects Of Small Town Living

4 Aspects Of Small Town Living

Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere. No, I don't hate it (all the time).

258
4 Aspects Of Small Town Living
Maria Scacchitti

There are perks and disadvantages everywhere you go. When you live in a small town, a lot of people have more complaints than complements. I understand, there is no Dunkin’ Doughnuts within driving distance of my house; I cry about it every time I come home from college. However, living in a small town is not the end of the world. It does not mean you grew up uncultured, it just means you grew up in a personalized community, and you will never forget your neighbors, teachers, or preschool best friends. Here are four things that you can relate to if you grew up in a small town:

1. You become friends with everyone.

You never know who you are going to have live down the road from you in the future. You do not know if you might need their help someday either. When you live in a small town, it is important to do your best to play nice. Yes, sometimes is will be extremely difficult to be the bigger person, but cooperation is key in almost any situation that could be thrown at you. The smaller the town, the more people seem to know your name, your parents, and your grandparents. It is just how it is.

2. You learn to appreciate the silence once in a while.

A major complaint about living in a small town is that it is boring; there is nothing to do in the middle of nowhere. For the most part, I can relate to these statements. However, a little bit of silence once in a while is almost like having your own little piece of heaven. Living out in the woods or mountains does have its perks. For instance, you will have some of the most beautiful landscapes in your own backyard. Sometimes, living in no-man’s land seems like a punished isolation, but you will never find a view like the one you have in your own backyard.

3. Your family can be your closest friends too.

Growing up in a small town also means you are probably related to a lot of people, which can be a blessing. Coming from a close-knit family, there is nothing I love more than having some quality family time. The older I get, the more I appreciate growing up with my family close to me. While there are some people out there that think hanging with the fam is lame, but I am here to disagree; no one will love you, stick by your side, or can be coerced to be your best friend like family members can.

4. There is a bigger world out there.

For many, myself included, the biggest complaint of small-town living is the size. Yes, it can be a hassle to live so far away from Starbucks, Chipotle, and a decent sushi joint, but home reminds me that the world is bigger than I can ever possibly imagine. Living in a small town reminds me that yes, this is an extremely small chunk of what the world has to offer. It makes me want to leave, not because I hate my home, but because it reminds me that there is so much I have not seen or done in my life. Living in a small town reminds me that there is a huge adventure out there waiting for me.