You Asked A Traveler

You Asked A Traveler

"I'm off to see the world, and who could possibly stop me?"

13
You Asked A Traveler
Janetleigh Vennare

"Why on Earth would you want to go there?"

I am clay; thrown on the wheel with each adventure I take. Under culture's guiding hands, forming the way it wishes me. With each gentle wave, or sharp twist, I learn things no book or instructor could teach me. Immersed entirely in both wonder and tragedy; Given a vision no picture could replicate. I have had the privilege of calling another country my home, and I long for that very privilege again. I possess a thirst no object can quench, for nothing here can. I've seen the Parthenon in Greece, and Machu Picchu in Peru with my own two eyes. Why on Earth wouldn't you want to go there?

"Don't think you're wasting money?"

Experience is not a knick-nack; there is no price tag, you cannot stuff it in a suitcase and pray for a soft flight. Knowledge of this kind cannot be purchased, bubble-wrapped, thrown in the bottom of a carry-on and forgotten about. They are gems you will find yourself carrying ruthlessly throughout your career, and throughout your life. Constantly we seek out luxuries, aching for our last purchase to result in happiness; and so it goes. Your house becomes full of stuff, but your Rolex doesn't make you shine like it used to. Your sports car high eventually fades. My experience is still glimmering beautifully; my knowledge fruitful. I do ask you: Who here is wasting their money? Who here is genuinely happy?

"Aren't you scared?"

I am quite; but we fear completely different things. My comfort zone is one with the world; I fear not of other cultures, different people, nor ideas. I fear passionately, of missing these opportunities. I fear of being so closed-minded as some of my peers, who shun the idea of calling another country home. I have met some of the kindest, most wonderful people in countries other than my own; opening their homes and hearts for which I took residence. I have had the greatest experiences of my life in countries that are not my own, and I will continue to do as such. What are you afraid of?

"How does (person) feel about you doing that?"

This question is a comical one indeed. How does (person)'s opinion affect my choices? I'm afraid it doesn't. My family, significant other, and my friends know the choices I make are mine to make; opinions are not wanted nor needed. Regardless of who thinks what, I will do what ever I damn well please. I will state that support is best gift you can give to another person; but it is exactly that: a gift. It is not asked for nor needed. I cannot fathom anyone's opinion that could possibly take priority over my own. You should try the question, "How do you feel about doing that?" on for size, being that the only approval I need is my very own. How do you feel about that?

"What if they don't support you?"

If a train were barreling at you at 80 miles per hour would you stay on the tracks? You'd be wise to get out of the way, just like you'd be wise to stay out of mine. Like I've previously stated, support is a gift; I simply do not need it. Come 6 am, I will be dragging my luggage through the airport with or without you seeing me off. Believe me when I say, "I'm going." I've spent too many years of my life being told what I can or can't do; decades of having others not only decide for me, but influence the way I make my own decisions. I am at a point in my life where I refuse to let anything, or anyone stand in my way. I'm off to see the world, and who could possibly stop me?

-Bon voyage!