'BoJack Horseman' Gives The LGBTQ+ Community Asexual Representation

'BoJack Horseman' Gives The LGBTQA Community The Asexual Representation That We've Been Looking For

The show is quick to discuss that "not all asexuals are aromantic," which means there's still a percentage of asexuals looking for love.

172
Clip from "BoJack Horseman"

Netflix's "BoJack Horseman" is comedy-drama dealing with complex characters in complex and even strange situations. The show has tackled plenty of issues that not everyone talks about, including miscarriage, drug addiction, depression, and more. These issues are portrayed through the show's great work of dialogue, pacing, and balance of characters, and the balance of dark themes and humor at the same time. "BoJack Horseman" can go from dealing with BoJack's broken character to dozens of funny scenes such as how eating a box of donuts becomes nationwide news. On top of it's writing on plenty of issues that aren't really talked about, the show also brilliantly takes on the representation that is very rarely portrayed on TV.

Asexuality is rarely portrayed in any kind of media, and although there are some characters who fit this representation, these characters are very limited. There are very few characters on TV that have been properly introduced as asexual, yet BoJack takes on this representation in a new way by one of its main characters, Todd, coming out as asexual in season four.

For those who don't know, asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to others, which can be followed by the lack of desire for sexual activity. And while there has been an increase of LGBTQ+ representation, the A in there is still a little iffy. For Todd to come out as the sexuality that is rarely talked about is a huge step forward for the representation we've wanted for so long, and season five explores this even more. As someone who identifies ace, being able to see a character say the things I've been thinking makes me feel less alone in the world, and that I can truly see myself in a character like this because...

1. It's an exploration of what it would be like dating

The show continues to dive into asexuality, commenting on how normal it is to date and how it's totally not weird to get married. The best part coming from season five, however, is the conversation between Todd and his old high school girlfriend, Emily. Because he's ace and she's very, well, not. The thought of the two dating again makes it hard for the both of them. This conversation leads to a "Well, what if we dated now?" question by Emily. This part of the show is truly what resonated with me when Todd responds: "We would hang out like we already do, and you would be my favorite person, like you already are, and when something good happens to me, like I got a promotion at work, you'd be the first person I'd tell, and you'd smile and say 'That's my boyfriend.'"

2. Coming out to your family

During season five, Todd's current asexual girlfriend Yolanda is scared to come out to her family. The show does a great job overexaggerating the experience with her family being "sex-obsessed," but it truly boils down to how aces can feel coming out to their own families just as any other coming out experience. Yolanda is frightful in the beginning, commenting on how her family will disown her, but in the end, it all turns out okay. She comments, "It felt good to finally tell them. Despite our differences, they love me."

3. The difference between asexual and aromantic

There are several moments in "BoJack" where the difference between being asexual and aromantic come up. When first thinking the idea of an ace dating app, there comes the question of well, why would asexuals want a dating app? The show is quick to discuss that "not all asexuals are aromantic," which means there's still a percentage of asexuals looking for love. For me, this quickly breaks the stigma that "aces don't date" when in fact many still want love without such sexual desires.

Overall, "BoJack Horseman's" inclusion of asexual representation shows just how far the show has gone and how it will continue to grow. Todd's growth and coming out as asexual took around three seasons and is finally being explored, and I know it will come up again in season six. As someone who is ace, I see myself in this character in a way that I can't see in others, and I can't wait for that to continue.