Arts Programs Are Important For Education
Life Stages

My High School Wants to Cut Art Classes And Push the STEM Agenda Instead

Without AP art classes, students looking to pursue careers in artistic fields are unable to gain experience in their field.

121
Claire Martin

As a high school student, I packed my schedule with art classes every semester I could. While other students were taking microeconomics and AP Bio as electives, I took every beginning visual arts class my high school offered and even went onto to take advanced and AP Photography (2-D Design). While most students dreaded their AP classes, I loved my AP Photography class - my teacher was a wonderful educator who created a welcoming classroom environment that encouraged students to push themselves creatively.

As a result, I was surprised to say the least when I checked Facebook last week and discover that my high school had cut not only AP Photography but every AP arts class offered by the school. While they claimed it was because the classes had not reached a 25-student requirement this seemed somewhat suspicious. While I attended Mercer Island High School, many AP classes had less than 25 students - my photography class only had 16 and many other AP classes, such as some math and science classes, had similar numbers. Additionally, no other AP classes were cut, just AP Photography, Drawing and Painting, and Ceramics.

While I was shocked at the decision to cut such popular classes at first, once I thought about it, it seemed consistent with MIHS's behavior throughout my attendance. The four years I attended MIHS, I constantly felt like I was an arts student stuck in a high school that pushed a STEM agenda. It seemed like the administration were always encouraging students to take STEM classes and constantly bragging about how good our STEM programs were. The only time the arts were praised was when they mentioned that our successful marching band won an award or went on a trip.

I left high school with the feeling that pursuing a career in the arts would ensure that I would be unsuccessful. My freshman year at WSU, I was an International Business major because I had been led to believe by every educational institution that I had previously attended that an arts degree was a waste of time. However, since changing to an artistic major I have felt happier and more academically and creatively fulfilled than at any other point in my life.

While MIHS's decision shocked me, it is not a completely foreign concept. In October of last year WSU announced its intention to cut the university's performing arts program in order to reduce the university's $30 million deficit. I find it unfair that WSU has cut the performing arts to deal with a deficit created by athletics and perpetuated by the salary increase of a football coach that has failed to capture an Apple Cup since 2012. I'm tired of arts programs at multiple levels suffering because other programs, some which aren't even academic, are given priority. Schools need to put academics ahead of sports and recognize that not every student wants to pursue a STEM career. Without these AP classes, students looking to pursue careers in artistic fields are unable to gain experience in their fields, while their peers are given a distinct advantage.

If you would like to help AP art classes at MIHS, please sign the petition here: