The Art of Swapping

The Art of Swapping

221
The Art of Swapping

ATTENTION FRESHMEN! Welcome to Greek life! You've made it through recruitment, and you're officially New Members.

My favorite part of being a New Member, by far, was going to swaps with the fraternities' pledge classes. Of course, forcing a group of girls and a group of guys to socialize can be a little awkward at first (I'm looking at you, freshman boys...), but it's an awesome opportunity for Greeks to meet people of the opposite gender as new freshmen. Here are a few tips to have a great time at swaps this fall.

1. THEME UP OR GET OUT! It's a proven fact that swaps are 1000 times more fun if you are really into the theme. Definitely dress up (and be creative)! When I was a New Member, one of our swaps was an ABC (Anything But Clothes) party, but we were also carving pumpkins at the social. Of course we were all there wearing trash bags, bed sheets, and cardboard boxes, but we also carved the heck out of some pumpkins! The activity and the costumes give you something to start a conversation with these other freshmen right away. 
  2. Don't be awkward. It doesn't matter if you're the type of person who can talk to a brick wall (I know, because I am one of those people), swaps will be awkward at first, unless you already know people in the other fraternity/sorority. Just relax, let the initial awkwardness subside, and start a conversation with someone in the other sorority or fraternity. PLEASE do not stay separated into groups of girls and groups of boys like you're in third grade again!! You're in college now, it's okay to talk to someone of the opposite sex. 
  3. Don't look for your future spouse. This is more for the girls who think that joining a sorority is part of meeting your future husband, but it's a good tip nonetheless. What I mean by this is that you should go into a swap with the mentality that you want to make friends. Of course, there's a chance that you could meet your future spouse (so definitely try to look good), but you don't want to go into a swap on the hunt, if you know what I mean. Having girl and guy friends is an important part of college because college is all about expanding your experiences and learning from other people. If you only hangout with other girls or other guys, you aren't expanding the way you think. Take it from me, make some friends in different fraternities and sororities. It never hurts to know a lot of different people that are involved in Greek life. 
  4. Don't be afraid of new experiences. During my freshman year, we had a paint swap with SAE, and after we were finished throwing paint, one of the guys asked if we wanted to jump into the lake outside of their house. I'm sure every girl reading this is thinking how disgusting that lake is, et cetera, et cetera, but when an idea like this is presented to you, SAY YES! We all ended up jumping in and trying their rope swing, and that night is still one of my favorite memories from my freshman year. Try something fun and adventurous with these people you're just meeting. New experiences will bond you as a pledge class, and you'll have made a new memory with some new friends. 
  5. NO AFTER-PARTIES! Again, this is mostly for the girls reading, but I'm sure every freshman girl has been warned that attending a post-swap pledge party WILL get you in trouble. As your standards chairs have drilled into your head, you can hang out with the guys you're swapping with any night, EXCEPT THE NIGHT YOU HAVE A SWAP THERE. And guys, it doesn't matter if you call the party "Bible study" or something else, the girls still aren't allowed to go.. 

These are just a few tips for all of you that are new to the Greek community to ensure that your swaps as a New Members/Pledges are nights to remember. Once you get through your first few swaps, you'll be an old pro. Just remember to HAVE FUN!