7 Vital Life Lessons Learned At Art School

Contrary to popular belief, it's not just a place for singing and dancing.

61
Joy Real

My high school experience was anything but traditional. I went to an art school an hour away from my home to study theater. My school could easily be compared to Hollywood Arts High School, the school depicted in Victorious with people singing in the hall, acting scenes outside call rooms and students running around taking photos. All that was missing was a kid running around with a puppet, although there was one student who regularly brought his animals to school.

Although my time at this school ended abruptly at the end of my junior year, I learned some of life’s greatest lessons from attending. From Pre-K through the eighth grade, from ages four to fourteen, I went to school with a fixed group of children, attending the same classes, participating in the same after-school activities, and celebrating the same birthdays year after year. All were bright, overachieving, super involved children from supportive middle-class families in a homogenous community.

For some reason, this idyllic childhood made me yearn for diversity and an unconventional high school experience. I found that and more in a performing arts high school in downtown Miami, breaking away from predictable conformity. With the uncertainty of moving to a new environment shared with people with vastly different interests, I took the plunge to “the road less traveled.”

1. Art school is an equalizer.

Before attending a performing arts school, I was judged on my clothes, house, grades, and looks. After switching schools, I realized art school levels the playing field. Instead, you are judged not only on your skills and talents but the effort you put into it. Respect is earned through teamwork, not individual showboating. Peers do not care about the house you live in, they care about your talent and dedication to your art. Focusing on my craft, developing my acting skills and being part of an ensemble and theater troupe helped me appreciate what was truly important.

2. Criticism helped me grow a thicker skin.

People have a fear of public speaking for a reason, it is in fact terrifying. The reason – people are staring, judging, and watching you. Imagine being graded on how you perform while trying to suppress the fear brewing in the depth of your being. As a theater student, my classmates and I had to perform our theater scenes and monologues in front of our teacher. Although it was painful when my teacher would give me a low mark, my acting skills got better and my skin got thicker. Learning how to deal with criticism helped me grow as an actor and to become a more resilient person.

3. I developed courage in a different sense.

Besides developing the courage to perform in front of my very talented peers and be graded on my talent, I also learned to adapt to city life, including learning to take a public city bus. Although this may seem trivial, it is a stark contrast to my younger years, having grown up with the myopic viewpoint that everyone came from a two-parent, middle-class household. This illusion was thankfully shattered after switching schools.

4. I learned time management.

Going to a high school an hour away from my house meant a lot of time on the road. Adding to the time spent at rehearsals for both school and outside theater along with homework and community service, I had to become an expert at managing my time wisely. Fun fact, I had more all-nighters in high- school than I have in college.

5. I gained self-confidence.

I never considered myself shy by any means, but there have been many times I refrained from sharing my opinion out of fear of being judged. Theater helped break down all those fears. Competing in theater competitions ranging anywhere from a monologue to pantomime taught me to never be afraid of anything. Today, speaking in front of a large audience and giving presentations are not even a blip on my radar.

6. The true skill of writing.

Ironically, I hated writing in high-school. Every time I had to write a play for my theater class or turn in an essay during class I dreaded turning in my assignment, thinking it was absolute trash. However, with practice, endless corrections, and lots of encouragement my writing skills did improve. Now, writing is one of my greatest passions, one I would not have discovered if it wasn’t for attending an art school.

7. The art of communication.

We live in a society where we have lost the art of communication. We hide behind our phones, texting instead of calling. By studying theater, I not only read great works of literature, but I studied the true art of communication. I discovered the beauty of verbal expression, something that seems to be disappearing in today’s world.

Before attending high school, I had a narrow view of the world and was terrified of being judged or perceived as weird; being unique was not valued. I look back at the years of attending arts school and realize how fortunate I was to see the world through a different set of eyes. I learned to appreciate all the world has to offer and not to take anything for granted. I gained vital life skills that I would have missed if I played it safe.