Art Is Everywhere, Art Is Everything

"Your surroundings, home, personal care, pets, clothing and body are all reflections of how you see and express yourself." - Dr. Christiane Northrup

In a world of social media where the idea of beauty and perfection is laid so neatly, it can be considered a form of protest to truly be yourself. Unlike what you hear, you don't have to be as “out there” as any political activists voicing their opinion at the top of their lungs.

You don’t have to be an activist, actress or comedian in order to express any part of yourself. If you’re shy like me, you’re more subtle about your deepest fears, concerns and thoughts.

As the quote above states, there are simply things that speak for themselves.

Many people will tell you that any form of art is a great way to express yourself.

Question: what is art? Is it a painting? A poem? A naked body? Graffiti?

Art is subjective in nature and definition and that is the great thing about it.

If someone says you don't make art simply because their definition of art is different from yours, they don’t know what art is.

Knowing that art is a form of expression makes it easier to start making art, if you’re not making art already. When I say this, I mean if you are not getting rid of blockages and expressing your inner self. Take a second to reflect on your emotions, thoughts, feelings and experiences. You can do this by meditating, doing yoga or whatever your idea of grounding yourself is. This will clear your mind for the moment and let you create art with an open mind.

Once your mind is clear, you may approach any interests or passions you have with the intent of conveying your message. If you do not have any clear interests, you can start looking. Going online and searching community events or classes is a great, cheap way to search for a passion.

Once art is made public, there may be many people who feel understanding and as though they are not alone. This is a great way to spread good vibes, which typically makes people feel better. Remember that you do not need public admiration or recognition to make “real” art. Art is defined by the artist, and everyone can be an artist.