To The Arkansas Razorback Fanbase, In The 2018 Football Season

No one said love was always easy.

131

If you're reading this you're probably a Razorback fan looking for hope, or you hate the Hogs and want to see what words of encouragement I could possibly come up with that will make this season seem not as bad. I'm not going to do either of those things, because I think the issue at hand extends far beyond hope and feeling encouraged. No, what I want to talk about is much deeper than just the score or record books.

I want to start by saying that I am in the Razorback Marching Band, so I attend every home game no matter the score or probable outcome of the game. This also means that I truly do want the Hogs to do well, because any Bowl game they go to, I get to attend as well. So, I know firsthand that this season isn't going as we had hoped. I think we were all hoping for some magical turnaround after last year, and I think to some extent, we all believed it might actually happen. Unfortunately, it isn't looking like this will be the case. It seems as if last year might not have been the bottom, and we might, in fact, hit bottom out this year.

But, hog fans, no matter the scoreboard, this never gives you the excuse to turn on this team.

At the North Texas game on September 15, fans were booing (yes, booing) Cole Kelley when he came onto the field. That shouldn't have ever happened. What kind of fans "boo" their own players? What do you think that does to their self-confidence knowing that the very people they sit by in class, shop near at Walmart, and walk past every single day were literally booing them the weekend before? I bet it isn't boosting their self-esteem by any means. Even more than booing the players we already have, what kind of recruit is going to want to play for a school that turns on their team the second they mess up? Probably none of them.

No, fellow Razorbacks. This is not how we're supposed to act.

We're supposed to be supporting our team no matter what happens. I understand this is the south, and we play for the SEC. Football is life here, and I get that. But if football is only life when things are going well, is it really "life?" This season isn't looking like its going to be one we want to remember, but that doesn't mean we stop being Razorback fans. If anything, it means we should be even bigger fans, because you know those boys want to win those games for us, and they want to do it to a stadium with people in it. They want to do it to fans who cheer for them no matter the score. They want to do it for students (and teachers for that matter) who speak highly of them in class. They want to do it for all of Razorback nation. So support them. It's not always easy. You'll disagree with coaching decisions. You'll disagree with the execution of a play. You'll disagree with who is in the game at any given moment in time. But through it all, support them. Be their biggest fans. Because Razorback fans, we are better than this. And our team deserves better than this.