Aristides, The First Kentucky Derby Winner

Its been 145 years since the first Kentucky Derby winner was crowned

212
Sam Clingenpeel

This past weekend my daughter and I had an opportunity to take a tour of Churchill Downs, this is the place that the first leg of the Triple Crown takes place. May 5, 2018, the 145th Kentucky Derby will be held, and the horse that wins that race will be added to the list of remarkable horses that have won this race, including 12 that would eventually win the Triple Crown.

The first-ever Kentucky Derby winner Aristides, ridden by African American jockey Oliver Lewis and owned by H.P McGrath. This Kentucky Derby was held on May 17, 1875, and it was originally 1.5 miles and wasn't changed to the current length of 1.25 miles in 1896.

Aristides was bred by Hal Price McGrath and foaled in 1872. H.P. McGrath was born into poverty in Woodford County, Kentucky, sometime in the 1820's. H.P. McGrath left Kentucky in 1849 following everyone else, he headed west to the California Gold Rush. He earned his wealth during this time, heading to New York to open a gambling house. After winning a $105,000 he was able to return to Kentucky to establish a stud farm.

Aristides, a chestnut thoroughbred with a white star and two hind stockings, he stood barely 15 hands high and wasn't considered first rate. He was sired by an English Stud Leamington and his Dam, Sarong had an amazing bloodline dating to Glencoe and Hall of Famer Boston. Leamington was the half-brother of another great sire, Hall of Famer, Longfellow was also known as "King of the Turf."

Aristides was foaled late in the season and even now isn't considered a good thing. The earlier the horse is foaled in the year the more time it has to mature. Chesapeake, a bay and Aristides half-brother, was in the stall next to him and was considered to have more potential and was expected to do well in races.Both of these horses were born and bred on McGrathiana Farm in Fayette County, Kentucky.

The day of the first Kentucky Derby, there was a field of 15 horses that included two fillies. Aristide and Chesapeake were both entered into the Kentucky Derby wearing the colors green and orange silks of H.P. McGrath. Both horses were trained by future Hall of Famer, African American Ansel Williamson. Aristides was ridden by jockey Oliver Lewis.

The game plan was for Aristides, who normally broke out quickly, would set the pace to give Chesapeake an opportunity to set the pace for other horses and give him the opportunity to pull ahead. Aristides following the plan broke out into the front, near the first quarter another horse, McCreery, quickly passing Aristides. But, the desire to win was in his heart and Aristides fought back and again to the lead. Aristide, in the lead, followed by McCreery, Ten Broeck, Volcano, and Verdigris. Chesapeake was almost the last one to attempt to break from the field, but he wasn't accomplishing much from the back.

Aristides kept increasing his lead without any way for Chesapeake to catch up with him. Being concerned Oliver Lewis, jockey looked to McGrath for guidance, who waved him on to the win. Aristides won by one length and took the pool of $2850.

Aristides raced a total of 21 times, 5 wins, and 1 show, he died June 21, 1893. Churchill Downs in 1988, the inaugural Aristides was raced in honor of the Kentucky Derby's first winner. There is also a life size bronze statue of Aristides by Carl Regutti stands in the Clubhouse gardens as memorial.