Ariana Grande And SNL Women Create Skit Promoting Feminism

#FeministSong shows the controversies on speaking up about feminism.

193

Ariana Grande is an outspoken feminist. With her new album titled "Dangerous Woman," her opinions about feminism and strong women are sure to seep through. To promote her new album and stance on feminists, she joined up with the "Saturday Night Live" women and created a video about the issues and controversies of being a feminist in today's society, while still keeping the video lighthearted and somewhat sarcastic.

The song, appropriately titled #FeministSong, explains that it is so hard to create a song for feminists without offending anyone. Similarly, it is hard to stand up and say anything promoting a certain stance of feminism without offending anyone. Ariana Grande herself was famously mocked for her feminism and sexuality by Bette Midler when Midler commented on her clothing and performance style: "you don't have to make a whore out of yourself to get ahead," to which Grande responded by saying, "Bette was always a feminist who stood for women being able to do whatever the F they wanted without judgement! Not sure where that Bette went but I want that sexy mermaid back!!!" Grande has continued to uphold her opinions on feminism and the double standards of women and their sexuality on Twitter especially.

In the song, the "SNL" women and Grande gloriously sing "every woman has a struggle, and every struggle's real, but just try and write a song that captures every woman's deal." To combat this struggle of not offending anyone or not mentioning every woman's struggle, the main line of the chorus hilariously states "this is not a feminist song, 'cause we were scared we would do it wrong."

The funny parody sketch ends with "this is not a feminist song, we are just women singing along. But wait, doesn't that mean it's a feminist song?" The chorus then changes to "this is a feminist song." It makes the audience realize that being a feminist is most importantly about standing up for women, whether you are speaking out about it or performing a silly SNL skit about it. Ariana Grande and the SNL women also show that there should be a positive connotation with being a feminist because often feminists are only viewed as women who don't shave and are angry at men. By keeping the video lighthearted, it makes an impact without being too pushy and the audience gets more out of the song.