Couple Gets Into Fight Over 'Laurel' Vs. 'Yanny' Viral Tweet
Social Media

My Boyfriend And I Got In A Fight Over The Yanny Vs. Laurel Debate

Science has broken the internet.

890
YouTube

On May 14, 2018, Cloe Feldman, a social media influencer shared a video of something that her younger sister found on Reddit that has broken the internet. Basically what she posted was a video of someone saying the word that sounds to some people as "Laurel" and to some people as "Yanny." But the real question is, why do people hear different words from the same video?

Could it do with the fact the different people are conditioned to hear certain letters and sound more, or could it be that when listened to on different types of devices certain sounds are clearer? So which one is it?

According to Popular Science, it could actually be both. When a scientist did an analysis of both of the sound waves that are produced when the words are said, they look very different, but when they changed the pitch of the video recording they were able to see that Laurel had fewer sound modulations on it than the word Yanny did when it went through their systems. But with all of the background noises in the clip, people still hear both things.

First was what color is the dress, now the big question is what do you hear Yanny or Laurel? It has been viewed by more than 1 million people so far, and even more as we speak.

Ellen DeGeneres even stopped the live taping of her show to see what her guests heard, she heard Laurel. Even "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" retweeted the post!

Science and perception have a way of always making things interesting but in this case, it has everyone scratching their heads. What do you hear? Yanny or Laurel?

To me, I hear Yanny consistently! Even when I try to hear other things I still only hear Yanny. When my boyfriend Matt, heard Laurel, I just could not understand why! When I first heard the post I was so confused about how these words could be confused with each other. When I finally listen to the clip I thought it was a joke that people heard Laurel until Matt heard it. Instantly we began to argue over what we were hearing. Who knew one word could make me so angry! I'll let you decide.

#TeamYanny VS. #TeamLaurel