3 Reasons Why Your Sanity Is Important As A College Student

Are you an overwhelmed college student?

180
Instagram

If you are a college student, like me, you understand what it means to have a lot on your plate. Multitasking isn't even the best word to describe our talent of juggling. College, or better yet, "University" is no longer a stepping stone towards adulthood.

University is "adulthood" for many of us. We are paying our bills (rent, cell phone, car note, insurance, etc.), working throughout the week to feed ourselves, and attending multiple classes throughout the day all while maintaining some type of social life.

You can't forget the difficulty of keeping our bodies in shape to stray away from obesity and keeping up with what's going on in today's highly media filled society. Many of us aren't as priveleged as the generation before us in the sense that we are now in a social and technical revolution. We must face a new challenge everyday.

It is really easy to lose your sanity especially if you are a person that likes to take things at an easy and comfortable pace. The way society is set up now is a competition with really no start or finish. Once you get fully involved in one thing the next "new" thing is already out.

College is no longer the place where teens and young adults go to get wasted and participate in activities we probably will laugh at later. University in the U.S.A is a means of survival. Today, I am going to write a few tips on how to keep your sanity in this ever so changing college atmosphere.

1. Meditation

Meditation is key. Your mental health should always be first. Set aside whatever you need to, to remain focused on yourself and how you are feeling. Meditation is quite easy and I participate in meditation every morning or so. To meditate all one needs to do is quiet the mind.

Find a place to sit down (I like to be outside with nature and away from others) take a deep breath through your nostrils allowing the air to release from your mouth, make sure to have your eyes closed fully (I think having your eyes fully closed heightens the experience) sit up nice and tall, with your back not slouched and not rigid.

Be comfortable. Feel comfortable. Position your head down just enough for it to be centered. Now place your hands either on your lap or if you are outside place your hands near your knees.

Now, for every time you sense your mind thinking about something have the thought vanish by focusing on your breath or how your body is feeling at the moment. Do this for about five minutes. Pushing every unwanted thought out of your cerebral space. The more often you practice meditation the easier it will get.

2. Mindfulness

Being aware of your body and the energy your body is projecting is very crucial. For instance, have you ever felt your muscles feeling tense or your neck feeling crooked? That can very well be a sign that you need to take it easy, DRINK MORE WATER or simply stretch more often. Do you ever pay attention to your surroundings and come to the realization that there are other species on this planet that have a purpose too? All it takes to be mindful is to tap into your inner being. Truly take time out of your day to speak to your consciousness or your soul.

3. Creative outlets or physical activities

I know not everyone has talents like Picasso, Jordin sparks or Jet li but it is worth challenging ourselves to escape our self- perceived limits. There is a spark that happens in the brain when one involves themselves in something they've never done before. You naturally tap into a realm or inner strength you didn't know was there.

Not only can physical activity aid you in terms of health but it arouses skills like leadership, determination, and willpower. Creative outlets serve as a way to expel our emotions in ways other than plainly speaking words. Words are boring. Why not experience what it feels like to be apart of a spoken word event or an art exhibit?

Without mental stability and clarity, how are you capable of doing anything accurately? The first step is knowing that you are overwhelmed. I am prone to taking on too many tasks at once because I am not going to lie, I enjoy the pressure of having to keep. However, in the long run, it only causes me great mental stress. Try not to be like me and save yourself the trouble of having to see a mental therapist (lol). This is all I have for now, until next time.