Are We Beginning Another ‘Me Too’- Like Movement?
News

Disclaimer: This article addresses recent accounts of Sexual Assault.

In the past week or so, multiple mainstream celebrities such as actor Ansel Elgort, Justin Bieber, comedian Chris D'Elia and the cast of the TV show 'Riverdale' have all had accusations of sexual assault come out against them. Some of the stories have been debunked which has caused frustration since this adds to the stigma of sexual assault victim's reliability. However, all the celebrities deny these stories and celebrities Ansel Elgort and Chris D'Elia are both looking pretty suspicious despite their reassurance.

6

This past week comedian Chris D'Elia was accused of grooming underage girls and soliciting explicit photos to them. Amidst screenshots and multiple different females coming forward, D'Elia ultimately denied he did this, however he admits that he feels shame for how he let his lifestyle influence him. In a statement to People Magazine he says " I really am truly sorry. I was a dumb guy who ABSOLUTELY let myself get caught up in my lifestyle. That's MY fault. I own it. I've been reflecting on this for some time now and I promise I will continue to do better." During these allegations, D'Elia has been fired by 3 Arts Entertainment and CAA, as well as received backlash from others who have worked with him such as his ' You' co-star Penn Badgley. Badgley admits feeling very "troubled" and disturbed by these allegations.

Actor Ansel Elgort who has starred in films like "Baby Driver" and "The Fault in our Stars" was accused of sexual assault by a woman named Gabby, on Twitter. She states that this took place in 2014 and she was 17 at the time. She goes into detail about the disturbing comments he said to her and how he forced himself onto her. He has responded to these statements by denying he had non consensual or illegal relations with her, however, he did admit they had relations and that he felt ashamed of the way he handled their relationship.

The alleged Justin Bieber accusations were quickly debunked. Bieber and his team collected receipts of his arrivals to places and his air b and b stay with then girlfriend Selena Gomez. Although this particular story seems to be inaccurate, the detail of the public stories leaves those who initially believed it with questions and concern. In response to Danielle's initial story, another woman named Kadi simply said " I believe Danielle. I am a victim of sexual assault by Justin Bieber too."

Finally, some members of the cast of Riverdale were accused of sexual assault. Vannessa Morgan, Cole Sprouse, KJ Apa, and Lili Reinhart were all accused. Other cast members had their back by speaking out against the dangers of false accusations of assault, once the accuser admitted to lying about the situation. Co-stars Camila Mendes and Madelaine Petsch expressed their support and pain for the situation their friends were put in.

This "Me Too" moment is confusing for those who want to get to the bottom of these accusations. It is so important to respect and take every sexual assault story seriously due to the pain and trauma victims endure. False claims as seen with the Riverdale cast are so harmful to those trying to come forward about their stories. Due to the situations where people are falsely accused, many don't take sexual assault claims seriously. This could be a huge turning point for the "Me Too" movement and sexual assault prevention and awareness.

If you or anyone you know has suffered sexual assault don't be afraid to speak up against it or encourage them to tell someone. Support those around you and continue to respect others and their personal stories.

National Sexual Assault Hotline:

1-800-656-4673