2019 Is The Year For Keeping Your Personal Life Personal

Start off the new year by spending less time and energy online and keeping it that way.

137

The age is upon us in which friends, family, and peers are sharing way too many details online. Yes, that includes people of all ages and backgrounds. This is a direct reference to "that guy" or "that girl" that exists in all of our lives. You know exactly who I'm talking about. The one that just HAS to share all of the ingredients that went into their dinner, or all of the tedious details of their relationship status. This may include their every trip to the grocery store, their political persuasion, etc. These are the types of people where, upon seeing a new post by them, you can't stop rolling your eyes or saying "here we go".

Now, to be clear, this type of posting is distinctly different from sharing personal accomplishments, as they are a known source of pride for people. Accomplishment posts are positive and warrant congratulations and praise from others, building a happier community in the process. Occasional family updates are another acceptable source. These differ from negative posting, or the timeless phrase "airing out dirty laundry". There is never a time that this is appropriate for social media, ever. I'm confident that we have successfully moved past our middle school habits, so let's keep them there.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but why do all of your followers need to know what you're doing every second of every day? Maybe I'm stealing from an old Italian value: keep family business within the family. No exceptions. Because the cold truth is this: very few people care. Very few people are online enough to keep up with minute-by-minute updates. Nobody wants to read or feel negative energy in their once or twice-a-day social media checks. If you feel a certain way about a topic and need to rant, as everybody does at some point, do so in a healthy manner. Call your parents or friends, invest in a diary, beat the living tar out of a pillow. Do what you need to do. Just do it without being overbearing. Get off the keyboard.

Ultimately, when you feel that you have something significant to say, ask yourself "Is this necessary or appropriate for my following?" Fulfill your duty in making social media a healthier and more positive atmosphere.