Approaching My Final Season

Approaching My Final Season

There's only a handful of finish lines left.

17
Approaching My Final Season
CourtOne

Time is such a crazy thing. In the present, it can feel slow, unending, and unchanging. When we look back, time is fast, and hard to measure. We don't truly know how many memories we actually have saved in our hearts until we do take a moment to look back on them. Looking back on these past three years and more, I've realized that so many of my fondest memories have been made on the track.

I cannot stress enough how true it is when people say, "High school will fly by." All of a sudden I realized that I'm graduating in only a few short months and that my final season of track is coming, and will also be ending. Looking back at all the effort and hours put into these past seasons and the achievements that came out of them are major highlights of my life, soon to be memories. Soon enough, breaking records and shaving off milliseconds on my sprints will no longer be the main goal in my life. It will be replaced, as will my name on the record board in the cafeteria at school eventually.

It's truly a bittersweet feeling. Obviously bitter because I'll be leaving behind a major part of my life after this season. But sweet because I know that I've put my heart, soul, and mind into this sport for the past years. I've accomplished great things both for my school and personally. My coach has inspired me and taught me lessons that I couldn't learn anywhere else. I've become a stronger person both physically and mentally. I've made unforgettable relationships with my teammates who are all so encouraging. For all of these things, I'm proud of myself. These years will always be looked back at with a smile.

Saying goodbye will be hard, don't get me wrong. Whenever my last track meet may be, it will probably be a little emotional to say the least. Only having a handful of finish lines left in my career leaves me feeling empty and almost lost in a strange way. This time next year will be strange. I won't have any practices to get to on time. No more relay handoff tweaking, no fine tuning my starting blocks. Not even a ladder to suffer through. Don't get me started on sprint jogs. (Coach's personal favorite) All of that will be ending and it'll be a sad goodbye.

So as for this season, I'm going all out. I'm shooting for the best I can be. I will have the time of my life both on the track and with my teammates during the beloved downtimes. I'll be running like I'll never run again and this season will forever be held in my heart. I just know it will be. Though I may not be running track again, the memories I've taken from the past years will be with me. Every time I pass by a track I'll think of them. Maybe I'll go for a jog around it just for the nostalgia, and when I run, I'll be thinking about the moments I'm most proud of, and the accomplishments that although might be taken off a record board, will always be here, with me.