We Need To Appreciate Poetry

We Need To Appreciate Poetry

Why is poetry so important?

1382
We Need To Appreciate Poetry
The Rumpus

Poetry is often overlooked in the literary world because everyone is studying novels and memoirs. It's viewed as something simple to write and therefore severely undervalued. I think it's time for the world to openly accept poetry more and here's why:

1. It looks cool.

People can sometimes think that there is only one way that poetry can look which is completely wrong. Some of my favorite poems to read are in interesting shapes and formats. It adds to the effect the poem can have on a reader and is pleasing to the eye.

2. They help express feelings.

Whether it's writing a meaningful poem about a specific situation of reading one that captures how you are feeling, poems are enjoyable because you can connect to them on a deeper level. Perhaps the meaning behind a poem for you is different from what the poet intended but it can still hold deeper meaning and symbolism for you.

3. It's a great way to grow vocabulary.

Writing and reading poetry can help expand your vocabulary since there are so many ways to describe a flower. You learn to describe things in an elaborate way and thus you know more words for things.

4. Poems are great gifts.

There is no better feeling than knowing someone spent brainpower and time to create something specifically for you. For this reason poems can be amazing gifts for any occasion. If you don't feel like writing one, you could always have an already existing poem printed onto anything and it can be meaningful for the person receiving it.

5. They last lifetimes.

Poetry has been around for centuries and they don't wear down like paintings making them extraordinary. Around world, poems have been kept through generations of families.

6. They can be other things.

Anyone that's written a poem has been aware of the fact that it could make a great song. Not only can they be awesome songs, but poems can they make wonderful quotes. Usually there can be more than one quote that can be taken from a poem depending on the length of it. Which leads me to number 7...

7. They can be any length.

If you want a quick and nice poem, there are plenty to choose from. If you want a long and expressive poem there are plenty of those, too. No matter how much time you have, there is always enough time for a poem.

8. Poems can be about anything.

Whether you like sports, flowers or balloons, there is a poem out there about what you like. Chances are there are many poems written about your interest. However if you don't want to spend tons of time looking for those poems you can always write some and share it with the world.

As you can see, poetry has many great qualities and it's such a shame that it isn't appreciated enough. So I suggest that you go out there and read and write a bunch of poetry. You'll come across many wonderful poets and inspiring pieces of art.