Appreciate More, Complain Less.

Appreciate More, Complain Less.

"Don't hate, appreciate.."

39
Appreciate More, Complain Less.
Pooky's Poem

The holiday season has always been my favorite time of year. Most people might think it’s because of the gifts you receive, but really it’s because of the food. The loads of scrumptious food you get to eat at this time of year is always a plus, but that doesn’t compare to the family and loved ones you are spending this time with. The part that makes this season my favorite is the amount of generosity that fills people’s hearts at this time of year. People become more giving whether it’s paying for other’s groceries or donating toys to charity or just being more kind to each other. The holiday spirit seems to be so much more abundant with joy and kindness which makes me happy.

Since I was a little kid, I remember that I almost never asked for a gift. My family and friends would and still do ask me what I want and I always say “I don’t know.” They don’t really appreciate the vagueness in my response, but it’s the truth. I feel like I don’t really need anything more. I have a job, food on the table, a roof over my head, clothes, a bed, basic commodities, my beloved family and friends right by my side. What else could I possibly ask for? All I ask for during this time is for to spend time this joyous season with loved ones. Some people aren’t as fortunate to have what I have which is why it’s very important to appreciate everything that you are given in this life.

There are many people that see this holiday as “I want this..” or “I want that..” or “Give me, give me, give me..” People like this don’t appreciate the beauty in the holidays; they just see it as a time to be selfish and only get what they want. The worst part comes when these people don’t get what they want then they start whining and throwing a tantrum. Maybe a teen got the iPhone 6s instead of the iPhone 7 or a little boy got a superman toy when he wanted a batman toy. When they don’t receive the “right” gift, they get frustrated and may start yelling at their parents saying “I hate you! Why didn’t you get me what I wanted?” The parents might feel bad and actually go buy them the correct gift to spoil their child even more, but that’s not the adequate solution to this dilemma. Instead of getting them what they want, teach them that whatever they get should be good enough because not everyone will receive even a fraction of what this one kid may receive.

So many kids complain during the holiday season about receiving clothes instead of the newest technology when they shouldn’t be. The holiday season should be about appreciating each other and everything you do have, not complaining about what you don’t have. Not everyone is as blessed as you. Some kids will be happy with just getting socks or underwear or food; the smallest things that you call “insignificant” will mean the world for them. Some families may not be able to buy gifts this season or have a roof over their head. Other families may see this season as a remembrance of great times they had with family members who have passed away. Not everyone will have all their loved ones by their side, but that doesn’t the joy will stop. It’s always great to remember relatives, but it’s also important to appreciate the ones that are still alive and there celebrating with you. We all need to stop complaining about what we’re missing and start appreciating what we do have because we may have this today, but nothing is certain for tomorrow. Start appreciating, not depreciating.