An Open Letter to Anyone Who Has Ever Felt Alone

You are loved.

48
Merrick Alexander

Dear wonderful people,

There are many days I walk through life feeling like I am all by myself. I can be surrounded in a room full of people and feel unbelievably alone. People say things like when you reach high school you will find who you are and who are your friends, or college is where you find your lifelong best friends. Well, I have found who I am and I do have people I would call friends, but I feel as though I am going through life on my own sometimes. My few true best friends live in different towns and countries.

I look around in a large room and I can be circled by a group of people chatting away, and still feel alone. I think this is because none of them truly stick by my side through everything. When I am upset I do not know who is there to turn to that won't judge me, or up and leave when things get too hard. I have spent my whole life feeling like I am on the outside looking into the world. When you don't have friends sticking by your side it can make you feel like you do not matter. It can make you feel weird and like a loser because no one has stuck around to catch you when you fall. It can make you feel like there is something wrong with you. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with you, you are not a loser, and you are not weird.

Although this is all true, I have realized that I am never truly alone. There are people out there who feel just like I do, desperate for friends who care for more than a mere two seconds. I am never truly alone because Jesus is walking by my side every step of the way.

I did not write this article to make you all feel bad for me, or to try and pity people into being my friends. I wrote it because I want the people who feel like me to know they are not the only ones who feel the way they do. I want those people to know that even though I have felt this way, finding one great person can change the tune of everything. You don't need a whole room of friends to be happy, you just need one honest, loyal, and kind friend. And you do not need to change yourself to be friends with people because if you had to change who you are, are they really your friends?

Just try and stay positive, the day will come when that one person walks through the door that will change your whole life. I do have this person, she moved home to Sweden about three years ago, but even from a distance she makes my life a little more sparkly. Wait for that person that even on the rainiest of days can create sunshine. I have felt, and many times feel, alone in the world, but I want you to know you may feel this way and when you do, stop for a moment and realize you're not alone. You may not have 20 best friends, but you do have family and maybe some friends you didn't realize you had. Please, please, please remember that no matter how lonely you feel you are never truly and totally alone.

P.S. You are beautiful. You are special. You are important. You do matter. You are loved.

Have a blessed day!

With Love, Merrick.