What It’s Like To Have Anxiety Third-Wheel Your Relationship
Mental Health

A young couple, madly in love. The two of them against the world. Almost.

441
couple in a blanket

When romantically involved with another, one may have to tear down your walls and reveal a vulnerable side to yourself. You may divulge inner thoughts that you never expected to unveil. To show a side of yourself, you have kept buried for so long. A darkness revealed into a relationship that should be of light and love.

Anxiety and/or depression at times could be your closest friend, and now another has entered your close circle. Your boyfriend/girlfriend has become your best friend, and at times your mental illness will not appreciate that. It will try to squeeze its way in back into your life just when you thought everything was going so well. You feel as if they lurk around every corner on every date. Watching closely, waiting for you to drop.

When it's time to tell your partner of your third wheeling fiend, do not fear. They will be more understanding than you could imagine. They can help you tolerate and/or eliminate your dark friend that lurks around. They can help lift you out of the shadows. The raw honesty could even bring the two of you closer and stronger.

For myself, my boyfriend embraces this darkness I carried. He accepted it as a part of who I am and what he signed up for when you fell in love with me. He did not allow my haunting friend to destroy our relationship. It became only a shadow. A shadow of darkness. Forgetful enough that at times, I did not even notice that I carried this burden. Other times, it places it's hand on our conjoined hands while we walk down the street. Your partner's warmth will dissolve that coldness that wishes to enter into your love.

There will be times when life feels like it's crushing down on you. Darkness engulfing every part of your day. Maybe even your relationship. Do not be afraid to ask your partner for help in these times. They will help you see the light of life.

With my boyfriend, he helped me see a whole new side to my life. I found color and brightness. With him by side, I can see a future full of happiness and love. The trap of anxiety and depression cannot overpower us.

I discovered that my mental illness is apart of me. He embraced my flaws and showed me how to battle these scars. To tear down my walls to become healthy. That I should not be ashamed of anxiety/ depression, but I can battle it. And with my boyfriend by my side, we are undefeatable.

Allow yourself to be open to love. Do not let your dark friend control your life.