Why No One Can Answer Your Questions About College

Whether heading out for your undergrad, masters, or doctorate, I don't think I have the answers for you.

523
Instagram

It's coming to that time of year where students, of all ages, are bustling to choose between colleges, what to study, and whether they should even go to college in the first place. As much as I love my decision to attend Eastern Michigan University, there are definitely options that I hadn't realized were available.

Let's start with the most basic question; do I want to attend college? When you're 17-18 years old, this is a large commitment. While answering these questions isn't indefinite and final, they still come with repercussions such as financial gain/loss, social pressure, and the sense that this is what you're supposed to do.

Believe it or not, it's not uncommon in other countries to take what is called a 'gap year.' This is a period of time where someone will take time off from school between high school and university. The benefits of a model like this is that it allows for the individual to have more time to really think about what they want to do with their life and if college is necessary for that goal.

Speaking of goals, I believe that these are extremely important in deciding your major. The school of choice is just a tool for you to come close to that goal. You need to take time to reflect and ask yourself what makes you feel fulfilled and purse the living sh*t out of it. You are your best self.

Understand that the goals you set out should have a set of large and small goals. These small goals will assist you in sustaining the motivation to reach the larger goal. Not only that, but they will also help you create a more curated approach to your end goal.

If college isn't necessary or seems like it's not for you, research other options that will assist you in reaching your goal. For example, trade school or other vocational training. These types of programs are not only meant for the trade skills. Many professions have professional development conferences, training, internships, and other opportunities for you to achieve your goals.

The reason no one can answer your questions about college is that no one is you; your journey is a different path entirely. Just remember that there is no rush to decide, and the commitment is loose and able to be recovered if broken.