Another List Of Lessons I've Learned According To My Age

18 lessons for 18 years.

166
Deanna Pahlmann

Coming from personal experience, or morals inherited from family, we've all learned lessons in our lifetime. Each experience shaped us physically and/or emotionally, yet every person's understanding of the world is unique.

From an eighteen-year-old girl born and raised in midwestern Missouri, here are eighteen lessons I've learned from my (short but well adventured) lifetime:

1. God Comes Before Everything

Who wouldn't put the maker of the universe at the top of their list?

Matthew 6:33 - "Instead, desire first and foremost God's kingdom and God's righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

2. Senior Year Is Not The Best Year Of High School (Or Your Life)

The hype is overrated. The majority of your year is spent crying over your "lasts" and filling out college applications, scholarships, and award papers. The workload doesn't cut you any slack, either. Don't forget about the inevitable drama that seems to drown your friend group.

3. Mom & Dad Were Right

A phrase everyone tends to avoid. Our generations may be different, but sufferings don't have an expiration date. Wisdom is wisdom.

4. Bragging About Failing Isn't Cool

School is hard. Accommodate to your needs, and study your butt off. People don't get diplomas by simply talking about them.

5. People Who Aren't "Partiers" Still Have Fun

Speaking from personal experience, there are other things to do on weekends then get drunk with your roommate or smoke weed with that girl down the hall. Expand your mind and explore the alternate possibilities.

6. Respect Your Values

Sometimes the fear of not fitting in can cause a desire to ditch what makes you different. Your people are out there. Know yourself enough to stay true to who you are.

7. Thrift Stores > Retail Stores

Goodwill is a college girls best friend. Nobody wants to pay $60 for a sweater, anyway. Worn in wears better than brand-new.

8. Body Weight Shouldn't Be A Priority

Body insecurity has sadly seemed to become a household name. All bodies rule!!! Whatever your number on the scale is, your value will never reflect that.

9. Worth And Age Are Not A Correlation

The number of adults who look down on young- adults or younger adults due to their age is the definition of disrespectful. We're all people. We're all human. We're all survivors of personal struggles. Don't define me by my generation.

10. Breakups Aren't All Bad

Did my past relationships suck? Yes.

Did I learn valuable lessons? Yes.

Do I regret them? No.

11. Books Rock

Being a creative writing major, this is a given. I mean c'mon, it's like a movie in your head!

12. Public Speaking Isn't The End Of The World

Anxiety has always seemed to rule my mind when any thought of public speaking came into play. After enrolling in a class and studying the exact reasoning for the fear itself and learning steps for becoming a better public speaker, I reconsidered.

13. Always Respect Authority Figures

You probably don't love everybody who has had authorization over you at one point or the other. Lord knows I hated when my mom made me eat my veggies before my cookies, but she still brought me into this world and knew better than I did.

14. Being A Vegetarian Isn't As Hard As It Seems

I would never have believed "vegetarian" would become an adjective used to describe myself. I was blown away by the amount of yummy foods that can be eaten as meat substitutes. The veggie burger at Red Robin is to die for.

Meat who?

15. The World Is Open To Interpretation

I love my hometown, but wouldn't want to live there for the rest of my life. With a world as big as the one we live in, why rely on Tim McGraw textbooks to show you what the Eiffel Tower looks like? It's even better in person.

16. Interest Isn't An Accident

Growing up, I was always in love with London - even before I knew where it was. I don't think interests like these were instilled in us on accident. Our callings are uniquely made by God for us to endure.

Catch me living in London in the upcoming years.

17. Try Everything

You'll never know. Don't spend your last days sitting on your couch wondering what your life could have been.

18. Only You Define You

Regardless of how others describe you, they'll never be able to change the image of who you are. You make your own decisions and lead your own life. Forget 'em.

It's been a good eighteen years.

Here's to eighteen more.