From Another College Freshman On Move-In Day

Just a Kentucky gal sharing my experience of moving while attempting to connect with others on the same topic.

11
EZ Move

Today, I started my new journey at a beautiful place I've already called home like three times... Sorry, mom. I am pretty comfortable with adapting to new places and situations, but honestly I am a total introvert who would totally rather watch Parks and Recreation alone in the dark than participate in any conversation about the other gender or high school stories. Therefore, today was a very strange day. While I have a million and one things I haven't done just yet, I think I may be able to shed some light on the truth of move-in day.

1. Your car breaks down on the way.

Unless you plan on buying completely new items in your college town, you probably will have most of your life packed in a tiny car driving a certain distance to reach your school where you will then unload all of your life's greatest necessities. My car has previously endured the issue of overheating. However, recently Rigby (His name) has done really well. So, while my best friend and I were cruising along, rapping the best parts of Kanye West's "Gold Digger", I didn't notice the spike of my temperature gauge until a nice beeep! was heard over the excitement of two teenage girls. I then looked down to see my temperature arrow-thingy (I know nothing about cars) was dramatically sitting on 'H'. I immediately tell my best friend to call my dad who was some distance ahead of me without giving her any context. We found some "cooling juice" at a gas station nearby, luckily. The main point of this story is: If I can survive my car smoking while I am driving down the parkway with all of my belongings resting in the back, you will be able to survive anything move-in day throws at you.

2. Once you get there, you will be overwhelmed with the setting.

PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE. They're asking you if you need any assistance and what floor you are on and if you have checked-in and what your room number is and what your great aunt's cat is named and literally it feels so OVERWHELMING. You probably will feel like you don't want any of these strangely nice people touching your things, but honestly just kindly say that you can manage it because these people are offering to carry things that are heavy and that could possibly contain your underwear?! I mean, that's a pretty kind gesture.

3. You have that horrific moment of realization that you have to share this very small area with another human being.

My roommate moves in tomorrow, so we haven't officially met but she is seriously amazing. However, I have been blessed to never have to share a room with someone for a long period of time. Even with her not here today, I looked around so many times and thought to myself, "How in the world are we going to make this happen?" Luckily, you have the next thing to keep you sane.

4. When things start coming together, you look around and mentally yell, "Yaaaaaassssss".

This moment may take a while, but I promise that if you wait long enough, your room will start coming together and looking a little bit more like a place you can stay in. Adding my roomie's stuff (and my roomie) will only make it better, I think. I honestly can't wait to have a person to joke around with or comfort me when I start missing home. I know we probably will have our fights and so will you and your roommate, but it will all be worth it when you get to enjoy each other's company.

5. You will make the BEST TRIP EVER to the nearest grocery store and hopefully your mom will pay for all of your things.

You most likely will find things you probably didn't realize you need, like an alarm clock or a can of bug spray. However, mom will allow you to basically get anything you want, so I recommend to take advantage of this once in a lifetime moment and buy that cookie butter you've always wanted at home but she never got it for you or maybe a pack of fruit snacks that might last you for the week.

6. You will cry WAY more than expected saying goodbye to your family.

I am the youngest, so that means my parents were empty-nesters after I left. The. Teardrops. Flowed. I thought I cried all of my tears out the night before saying goodbye to my baby cousins and grandparents, but I was wrong. I had a lot of tears left for my sister, brother-in-law, parents, and especially my best friend. Honestly, I cried three times after they left as well. I told myself I would not come home for an entire month to get adjusted, but I doubt it will happen. My best friend already promised she would come visit next weekend and I have already FaceTimed my parents once. No matter how close you are, it will take a while to let them go.

7. You will force yourself to be social and befriend as many people as possible.

A very useful tool I have learned trying to get over my social awkwardness is to always be the one with food. Offer food and they can't deny your friendship. Move-in day is a great time for this because mom has already bought you groceries and you probably have a few spare packages of Gushers people would really enjoy. I left my room once and went over to the room beside me with snacks and basically told them I had no friends and I would trade snacks in exchange for their friendship. So, yeah. It was great and I really like them. Put yourself out there, it will be okay. Netflix will be there when you get back in, I promise.

8. You will fall asleep praying you can handle this routine as your new way of living.

I have already put on my pajamas and my house shoes (NECESSITY) while I type this, but afterwards, I am going to wash my face and get ready to sleep in my new habitat. It will be different, but don't give up on it just yet. You have barely gotten started. Good luck surviving tomorrow!