An Open Letter To My Older Sister

An Open Letter To My Older Sister

Your words mean everything.

179

Words. Everyone needs to hear them. They can challenge you, build you up, love on you, celebrate you, and provide you with the comfort of knowing that you matter.

For twenty years, you have given me these words; showering them onto me in times when I didn't even know that I needed to hear them. Every word that leaves your mouth is spoken in perfect symphony with your heart. I love it. It's almost as if I can hear the symphony, feeling the careful, sincere details that make each note as unique as the next.

You have a gift with words. The way you deliver your words of advice, encouragement, and support allow people to unwrap them like presents on Christmas Day. I know I do. You're like a personal Santa Claus. Not to mention that high school Christmas parade where you actually dressed up as Mrs. Clause with your own sleigh and everything. #HoHoHo

With each new word, each new note, and each new gift, you have taught me about life. You have shown me the beauty in my mistakes, and man, have I made some big ones. You taught me that mistakes can be hard to embrace, but at the end of the day, I need to accept the fact that I made one, learn to get past it, and remember you're there for me. No matter what.

You have dared me to be different, dared me to bust some weird dance moves, and dared me to love deeply on the people around me. In each of these dares, I can see a reflection of you. You are different. The way you see this world and the people in it is a perspective like no one else. You see the goodness; the light; and, the beauty. You dance to your own beat. Especially if you get invited to Aaron Carter's Party. I admire the way you dance because it's uniquely you. And, if you want to throw in a little of The Sprinkler or The Shopping Cart to spice it up on that dance floor, I know you will. You love deeply on those around you. I've seen this love from you throughout my twenty years, and I can honestly say that it's your superpower. From loving on me despite how much hair I pulled from yours when we were little, to loving on your family, friends, and Young Life girls, you have shown us all how powerful your love is. Never stop loving people. Never stop dancing. Never stop being you. Because…

Your words challenge me.

Your words build me up.

Your words love on me.

Your words celebrate me.

Your words are everything.

Love always,

Your Little Sister