An Open Letter To My "Little Sisters"

An Open Letter To My "Little Sisters"

I love you girls.

14
An Open Letter To My "Little Sisters"
Courtesy Of The Author

I am the youngest girl in my immediate family. I was blessed to have a Nana, a Mom, four Aunts, three girl cousins and a sister to help me conquer growing up as a young lady. They made transitions, awkward stages and things a girl can conquer so much easier. I was not given a little sister or any little cousins until recently; however, I did get multiple little girls in my extended family. Those little girls have become my little sisters. I would like to pass down some of the knowledge I was given by the women in my family and by their mothers and grandmothers to them.

When it comes to buying make up for the first time, be smart. Don’t go alone. Bring someone who wears make up regularly, bring your mom or even ask me to take you. Don’t buy a lot of make up on your first trip either. Start small; get some eye shadows and maybe a mascara. Slowly work your way up to bigger things like eyeliner, foundation and other extras. Be careful using them too. Most older girls will tell you they look back on their old make up styles and cringe. I’m one of those girls. My phase of wearing top eyeliner as well as eyeliner on my water line was horrific. Be confident in yourself and know that you don’t need make up because you are beautiful without it.

When it comes to friendships, be careful and choose wisely. Girls have a tendency to mistake mean girls for their friends. Just because someone who is “popular” spends time talking to you doesn’t mean she is friends with you. If “popular” people let you hang out with them only to tear you down, they are not your friends either. Be friends with the girls that pick you up and make you feel good about yourself. Leave the girls who make you feel unworthy behind. Also know that it is better to have one real friend than a group of fake friends.

When it comes to boys, wait. Do not be in any rush to have a boyfriend. Please wait until high school for this. When you do decide that you’re ready to date someone be careful. Demand respect from boys and make them treat you the right way. If he makes fun of you for that or calls you clingy then he isn’t the right guy. Make sure to introduce your boyfriends to the family too. I always have and they are great judges of character. Also, chances are if you’re afraid to bring him around your family then there is a reason and this reason probably isn’t good. If he breaks your heart you will be okay. Keep your chin up, wipe your tears and try to smile. I know it will feel like the end of the world, but I promise you it will get better. Call me and we can get some ice cream that always helps.

When it comes to bullies stand up for yourself. By standing up for yourself I do not mean fight back either. Get help from an adult, tell your parents, a teacher, a friend's parents, or even call me. Confide in someone who can help you make things better. Also, never let a bully get to you. Take their cruelness with a laugh. Bullies want to see you break down: do not give them this. Walk away with your head up. Know that you are worth a lot no matter what anyone says to you and be brave but not too brave to ask for help.

When it comes to confidence have it. Look into a mirror and know that you are beautiful. Look at your grades and be able to say that you are smart. Be able to say that you are good at things. Whether it is singing, dance, sports, writing, etc. I know you are all good at something. Don't just be able to say you are good either be able to own it. Be able to show your talents to the world. You are worth so much, know that.

I want you to know how much I love you. You have become the little sister(s) I always wanted. I am always a phone call away. Never be afraid to call and reach out when you need some advice, someone to talk to, or want to go on a fun adventure. I am always going to be there for you.