Even In 2016, Animal Cruelty Is Still Largely Ignored

Be the voice they wish they had; make the choice they wish they could.

37
tumblr

No matter how you think the Earth and its inhabitants came to be, the truth of the matter is this: animals and humans have coexisted on Earth for quite a number of years now. The relationship between the species has been tense at times, and has more often than not resulted in the affirmation to humans that we are superior to beasts.

This attitude that humans have towards animals has been held for centuries, but it is now coming back into the limelight with the introduction of new information about the treatment of animals in entertainment arenas. The animal entertainment industry has fallen under attack as stories about Tilikum, Tyke, Shamu, and others like them have been brought to the attention of Facebook readers and Google followers everywhere.

Looking on Netflix for something new to watch, I stumbled across a suggested documentary called "Tyke: Elephant Outlaw" on my feed. I was curious, and selected the film. I was about five minutes in before I realized that this wasn't something I was prepared to watch yet. Gathering research over the last few weeks, I ran a survey and put it out to friends, family, and strangers alike in the hopes of gathering more opinions on animal cruelty for human entertainment.

In case you don't know who Tyke is, I'd love to explain. Tyke the elephant was an African Elephant (listed on the WWF's Endangered Species list as "Vulnerable") owned by the Circus International of Honolulu. Tyke was taken from her home in Mozambique in 1973, and was 20 years old when she was killed by a storm of bullets in the streets of Hawa'ii on August 20, 1994. She had had previously recorded incidents with trainers in the circus, and should've been released back into the wild after the first. Based on numerous reports, Tyke wasn't comfortable in her forced atmosphere (no animal is; that isn't where they are meant to be) and was prone to lashing out to express it. Her most famous expression is also the one that led to her death.

On August 20, 1994, Tyke was in the middle of a routine performance when she suddenly stopped in the center of the ring, but only for a brief moment, before she trampled her groomer on the ground. Tyke quickly turned on Campbell (her trainer), killing him instantly when she slammed his head into the ground. Running through the enclosure, she pushed into the street and ran for half of an hour before her life was ended in a hail of eighty-six bullets from the Honolulu Police.

Today, Tyke is widely regarded by animal rights organizations as a symbol for their campaigns, although, in my survey, 10 out of the 12 individuals had said that they had never heard of Tyke. When asked about if they'd ever visited a circus, 11 of the 12 said that they'd only been when they were young. One individual, who has asked to remain anonymous, said that they believe this is part of the problem with circuses: they chose to continue acts that torture these creatures for the sake of entertainment, to cover up older incidents of the same caliber.

Circuses are not the only places that psychologically and physically injure our animal friends. SeaWorld is another example of an entertainment industry that takes advantage of animals -- sea creatures specifically. Ten of the 12 surveyed individuals answered that they had heard the stories of Tilikum & Shamu - SeaWorld's two killer whales that have attracted the attention of all people around the world. Many said things along the lines that these whales aren't "regarded as killers in nature," that they are gentle giants until provoked, which is exactly what SeaWorld does.

By nature, humans are curious beings -- and sometimes, that curiosity makes us do things that we'll regret later. I believe that this hunting, capturing, and torturing of animals will be one of these things that the human race regrets. We have killed, abused, and mistreated so many animals -- not just big cats and endangered species. Domestic animals in your local ASPCA certainly aren't there of their own free will; they are there because someone couldn't handle them, or couldn't treat them how they deserved to be.

The animals don't have a voice, so it is our job to speak out for them. In the words of one surveyed individual, "animals deserve to be treated better. The activities that occur at SeaWorld and in circuses are no better than what occurs in dog fighting rings. It's vile, it's disgusting, and my heart hurts not only for the animals, but for the people who will have to live with their actions for the rest of their lives." As you go, remember this -- the desire to live is the same within all of us, human & animal alike.

To learn more about Tyke, Tilikum, Shamu, and other animals like them - links are located below.

To learn more about Tyke - watch her documentary, or campaign film by Hefty.

To learn more about Tilikum or Shamu - watch the documentary.

To learn more about volunteering at your local ASPCA, or adopting instead of shopping for pets - visit the ASPCA's parent site to find locations near you.