Andy's Trash Friends In 'The Devil Wears Prada' Are 100% Realistic

Andy's Friends In 'The Devil Wears Prada' Are Trash, And That's The Realest Part Of The Movie

Here's the catch: they're supposed to be like that.

322

If you're a well-adjusted human being like me, you're probably aware of the fact that "The Devil Wears Prada" is a cinematic masterpiece. If you aren't a well-adjusted human being or if you're an alien who recently landed on Earth, let me give you some background: "The Devil Wears Prada" is a comedy film starring Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, and Emily Blunt. It tells the story of Andrea "Andy" Sachs (Hathaway), a recent college graduate who lands a job at Runway (A parody of "Vogue" magazine) as the assistant to a tyrannical Editor-In-Chief known as Miranda Priestly (Streep).

Since it's release in 2006, it has become a cult classic for its endlessly quotable lines and lasting impact upon pop culture. It has also inspired numerous think pieces and critical analyses that delve deep into the characterization of characters.

Lately, many academics, film critics, and fans of the film have come to the realization that Andy's friends and boyfriend were complete and utter garbage.

Throughout the film, we see Andy struggle to keep her work-life and personal life in balance with another. However, due to Miranda's demands, Andy's personal life begins to crumble under the weight of her career commitments. Rather than being understanding, her friends (and boyfriend) choose to complain about her having a job that is more demanding than there's. Also, I should mention that Andy does make an effort to keep up with them, but again, work keeps getting in the way. They also criticize the fact that she changed her (frumpy) style and became more sleek, elegant, and polished. This makes them feel very immature, childish, and still stuck in the mindset of college. They refuse to allow Andy to change and grow because it will upset the comfortable fabric of their friend group.

The scriptwriter, Aline Brosh McKenna, also realizes that Andy's friends and her boyfriend Nate aren't the best people to be in a relationship with. However, their purpose in the story is to be Andy's tether to her morality. They point out that the changes she has made are negatively affecting their relationship with her. Yet, the point still stands: they should've been more supportive of her and her career choices. Yes, it sucks when you lose your friends to adulthood but you should still be happy and supportive of them.

Can you call them out on their bullshit still? yes, you can. But don't act like you're their priority in life.

I'm not saying that Miranda is no better but at least her friends could've made the realization that they're growing up, that Andy herself is growing up and becoming more confident in herself. In its own way, this is the most realistic part of "The Devil Wears Prada."