Andy's Top 5 Favoritest Fictitious Meals

Andy (that's me) reminisces on some of his favorite movie meals on Thanksgiving Eve

343
Wallpaper Cave

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, or Turkey Day for those of us who prefer to make light of the day due to certain historical inaccuracies. Tomorrow is a day for communion with family and friends. Tomorrow is a day for introspection and reflection and, let’s be real here, masticulation. Probably should be “masticating” or, less pretentiously, “chewing,” but I enjoy breaking the rules and coining new words, even if they never catch on.

Anyway, in honor of the grandly gustatory get-together on many of our morrows. I’ve decided to throw together “Top 5” list of fictitious movie meals that are, quite frankly, every bit as likely to trigger a Pavlovian reflex. These spreads hail from films stored within my memory banks and are examples of meals that I still, in my aged 36 years, desire with all the fervor only a food-lovin’ kid could muster. In no way is this list all-inclusive of all of the no doubt many food-featuring films out there, but they’re the examples that pop in my cerebral cortex before all others. In no specific order, they are...

The Imaginary Dinner in "Hook"

When Peter (who finally grew up) remembered how to use his imagination, before him laid a spread of turkeys, roasts, cheese wedges, pastries, fruits, and some altogether unidentifiably delectable pudding/pie combos. Let’s ignore the fact that these delicacies are either completely imaginary and were also prepared by children with questionable hand hygiene practices, this scene will forever evoke a hunger every bit as intense as real as my family’s Thanksgiving smorgasbord.

Breaks my heart to see some of it become cannon fodder during their food fight.

Fantastic Feast in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

First off, it's just plain cool that Dumbledore magicked the meal into place, although I've got to hand it to Hogwarts' unseen elves who no doubt toiled to provide such a feast (not all heroes wear capes). And let's just admit it, we're all going to imagine ourselves as Ron as we double up on the turkey legs. Am I right?!

The "Be Our Guest" scene in "Beauty and the Beast"

To be fair, this doesn't get my stomach all grumbly with desire nor does it bring all the drool, but even when this came out, who doesn't want to be served such an amazing array of delectable goods? Where else will I ever get a chance to have "pudding en flambé?" Seriously, the kid in me still wants this.

The "Pure Imagination" bit from "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory"

While not truly a feast in that doesn't feature characters eating an actual meal, this forever will go down as fantasy for sweet-toothed foodies. Serving as the backdrop for Gene Wilder's time-honored rendition of "Pure Imagination," the room is stated to be made entirely out of edible materials. And, as an avid chocolate milk fanatic, I want to drink from that river.

Crave Case Consumption in "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle"

Now, I know this isn't precisely to challenge many's notions of what is stunningly as scrumptious as what we will eat to tomorrow, but I can't help but feel jealous for the two of these stoner buddies. They desired those sweet lil' grease bombs an entire night and morning before they were able to sit and devour their respective Crave Cases. Not only do I become hungry for White Castle following this film, but I hope every craving satisfies me in the same way the White Castles sliders satisfies them.

In no way all-inclusive and always in flux, my Top 5 Favoritest Fictitious Meals is dependent on mood. Honorable mentions go out to the films Jurassic Park's desert food scene and just about any Christmas Carol in which Scrooge encounters the ghost of Christmas' present surrounded by food. The list could really go on, but I hope these strike a chord and jog your memory.

And forever in pursuit of discussion, what are your favorite fictitious meals?