Andrew Luck: The Smartest Man In The League

Choosing himself over a game.

8
https://twitter.com/usnikefootball/status/1166457366629380096?s=20 @usnikefootball

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback, Andrew Luck, spontaneously announced his retirement during the team's preseason game this past week. Luck had a standup season last year after recovering from multiple injuries that sidelined him for an extended period of time.

After receiving the NFL Comeback Player of theYear award last season, fans and teammates had high hopes for the young star. However, yet another injury landed Luck a front-row seat on the sidelines for all of the team's offseason and preseason activities.

Retirement had been in discussion for Luck for quite some time, but the announcement came as a surprise to many, but especially the fans. Reactions from the fan were quite unusual, especially for such a successful player, as the announcement was met with boos and disappointment from the fans.

The response was beyond disrespectful, as this man has led this team to multiple playoffs and more success than they have seen in years. Luck was riddled with injuries and as result had reportedly "lost his love for the game." Many professional athletes push through this feeling, playing more for the money than the love.

Luck, in my opinion, is the smartest man in the league. He has earned his check, been successful in his career, and chosen his body (and happiness) over what is simply a game. The fans' reaction was highly uncalled for, as they should respect the decisions of their team's leader.