And If I Ever Have A Daughter

And If I Ever Have A Daughter

"Darling, I'll say, you're more than enough"

39
And If I Ever Have A Daughter

If I ever have a daughter I’d tell her to only eat what her momma cooks, because society will tell her to consume the wrong media. Feeding her lie upon lie, society will tell her that she will never be enough. I’ll tell her she’s a perfect image of imperfection. Darling, I'll say, you're more than enough.

If I ever have a daughter I’ll tell her to wear earmuffs in public because society will scream from the rooftops that she needs to "discover herself" but will say it's okay if a guy tries to unlawfully discover her too. I will say, Darling purity is priceless. You are worth more than rubies. Darling, you are more than enough. Daughter, please wait for love.

If I ever have a daughter I'll tell her to never hide her face. I'll tell her to wear as much makeup as she wants but let her know there is no amount of makeup that she needs. I'll tell her that she is beautiful. Every bit of her body is made of flawless flaws. She will know that she is a vase made from broken pieces of glass; although she is not perfect, she wears imperfection perfectly. Darling, I'll say, you are altogether beautiful and although you may feel broken, there is no flaw in you.

If I ever have a daughter she will be taught to speak. She will know that the odd sounds rhythmically coming from her mouth will become her voice. She will know listening is just as important as speaking. I'll tell her to use her words for good. She will speak kindness. She will wear humility as though it is the finest dress she will ever own. I'll tell her meekness is attractive, and compassion is sought-after. Daughter, I'll tell her, with your words you can move mountains.

If I ever have a daughter she will be bred on independence. She will know how to cook and clean and be self-sufficient. She won't ever need to rely on a man, but she will. She will be humble. She will know how to thank you. She will know that her someday-husband, her daddy and her grandpas will care enough about her so that as capable as she is, as independent as she will be, she will never have to be alone. I'll teach her to trust in others. I'll teach her to give of herself, time and time again. Because although she may feel empty, she will always find herself full of love. She will always find that there is more to give. Darling, I'll tell her, I've never been more proud.

If I ever have a daughter she will know that although she is a princess, and although she is fairer than snow white she only needs to be rescued by Jesus. She will know that she has no need for fairy tale prince because she will have the King of Kings to rescue her from any trouble she will ever find herself in.

If I ever have a daughter, she will know that she is audaciously, abundantly adored. She will know that she must embrace her authentic nature. If I ever have a daughter she will know that she is beautiful. But she will also know that she is bold and brilliant. She will know that the dictionary has no words for her radiance. She will know that although she may not have everything, although she may not be everything she will know that she is more than enough.