The Symbolism Behind 'Tunnel Vision'

The Symbolism Behind 'Tunnel Vision'

If this video struck a nerve, then you have to reevaluate yourself.

2315
The Symbolism Behind 'Tunnel Vision'
Kodak Black-Youtube

Approximately three weeks ago, rapper Kodak Black released his music video to Tunnel Vision. The video itself has gotten over 49 million views on YouTube. His music video had a lot of symbols and people have their mixed views on it.

At the beginning of the music video, it shows an African American male fighting a Caucasian. They are wrestling on the floor and when the Caucasian male gets on top, you notice that there is a confederate flag on his jean jacket. We do not know why they are fighting so it made me want to continue watching the music video. The next thing you will notice is the Caucasian's hat. The red hat with white lettering reads "Make America Hate Again," which is close to Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again." He is driving down a road that has a sign stating "Hunting Grounds" on it with an arrow. At first, you may not think much of it until you continue to watch the video...

The next thing you will notice is a burning cross and a hanging Klansman. Usually, you see a 'minority' being hung from a cross but the tables have turned in this scene. You can tell that this takes place down South because of the surroundings and what you will see later in the video. After that, you see the Caucasian male get out of his car and takes a gun out of it. You then see him walking up towards where the African American male is working.

Pause the video at 2:02 and you will see that the African-American male is standing in front of what looks like a farm. The male wearing "Make America Hate Again" then lowers himself to shoot the African-American male. The male looks like he was simply working, he did not have a weapon on him or anything of that matter. He does not flinch when he notices the caucasian about to shoot him. He then notices that the caucasian's gun is jammed and becomes angry. He then runs towards him and begins to fight.

As the fighting continues, the African American finds the American flag and ties it around the Caucasian's neck. They then stop after they hear a child scream stop at them. They both look at the girl and the music video is over. I did not write this so you can become a Kodak Black fan but to show that rappers can bring awareness to social issues. Or can they?

Not many agreed with his music video. The comments below the video are quite disgusting. They are racist and filled with fighting. The video is not talking about 'all white people' but the racial issues in the South, especially with the KKK. Some believe that Kodak burned the cross on purpose and that he is the bad one meanwhile burning crosses and hangings are things that the KKK do. Rather than analyzing the video, some were quick to jump to conclusions and believe that Kodak should not have created this video. In my opinion, I believe he made the right choice to show the public the disturbing truth.