An Overdue Open Letter To My Best Friend's Parents

I could spend the rest of my year simply listing what I want to thank you for, but I hope that this letter touches on some of the overdue appreciation that I need to give you.

85
Idea Stand

Dear Best Friend's Parents,

I want to thank you. These thank you's are quite overdue, but understand that I appreciate everything that you did and everything that you do. You raised an incredibly understanding and compassionate young woman. She is my sister, my person, and my best friend. She turned my life around, and she is the reason I am standing here today. I know that I would not be here without her, and she wouldn't be the person that she is without you, so thank you. I can't even find the words to describe how grateful I am to you.

I spent a lot of time at your house, as you already know. Thank you for giving me a place to go when things weren't great at home. I basically lived with you in highschool, and I have the best memories with your family. Thank you for inviting me to birthday parties, for driving us around town before we were able, and for letting us create strange concoctions in your kitchen. Thank you for being aware of my allergies and working around the fact that I am a picky eater.

Through every tear that I shed in high school, your child was there to make me laugh it off. The world could not bring me down far enough to where she could not mend the damage. She has never left my side, and she has always been one text or call away. Even in college, we have managed to stay in touch and visit each other regularly. She and I have dictionaries filled with inside jokes, stories and memories, and they are some of my all time favorites. You really should be proud of how amazing she is, because she is one of the most beautiful, hysterical and brilliant people that I know. I would not be a quarter of the person that I am without her, and her constant comic relief. Thank you for contributing such an amazing person to the world.

Thank you for sacrificing your sleep by letting us stay up at all hours of the night. Thank you for driving me to school. Thank you for giving me your garage code, and cleaning up our messes. It must have been exhausting, but thank you for putting up with it.

Thank you for being so generous and kind to me. Thank you for feeding and sheltering me. Thank you for always knocking, and giving us privacy. Thank you for taking pictures of all of us at prom and homecoming. Thank you for taking an interest in my life and what I'm doing. Thank you for all of the crazy sleepovers, for inviting me to family outings, and for supporting my ambitions. Thank you for always making me feel welcome.

Thank you for being like second parents to me, and for all of the advice on college, financial aid and life. Thank you for introducing me to some rad music, for making enough dinner for me to join, and for the wild movie nights. Thank you for basically raising me, and never condemning me.

There are a million things that I didn't get the chance to mention, but thank you for everything, especially my best friend. I'm so grateful for the impact that your family has had on my life.

Love,

Your Child's Best Friend