A suggestion of an organization to join at OSU

If You're Searching For An Organization To Join, Look No Further

OTL is probably for you

370
Cameron DeVille

Off The Lake Productions is OSU's only student-run, service-based theatre organization. There are many facets of the group: Peer-Theatre, Musical Cast, Play Cast, Crew, and Pit. All of the groups interact and support the organization as a whole while having their own unique projects that they work on throughout the year. I reached out to a couple of the members in order to give a broad idea of what the org is and what it means to people.

I also reached out to OTL alumni to ask them about how OTL continues to affect their lives. Chloe Hanenkrat was the Director of the Musical (Hunchback of Notre Dame) this previous year. Sunni Whitmore was the President of the organization this previous year.

1. If you're interested in joining:

-Follow the OTL social media! It's @offthelakeosu for the Instagram and Twitter! They also have a Youtube (with previous shows and performances) as well as a Facebook page.

-Come to events! There are scheduled events specifically for potential members.

On October 8th and 9th, there are Info Sessions from 7-9pm. (Locations: Baker West P-Space and Nosker Burgee Room, respectively.)

On Sunday, September 30th, there is a "Baking and Board Games Event!" This will be from 4-6pm in the Scott House kitchen. Come make some cookies/cupcakes/goodies and play some games with the group.

On October 14th, there will be a "Blanket Making Event" from 6-8pm location TBA.

-Reach out!

2. Describe what you do in OTL.

Some of the Addams Family cast

"After being a member of the musical cast the past three years, I have taken a step back from performing to serve as the President. As the President of OTL, I have many responsibilities and duties that are SO fun! I am basically in charge of making sure the organization runs smoothly, we have spaces to rehearse in, our Executive Board is doing their job efficiently and that we are in good standing with the University. But another part of my role is creating relationships with local Columbus theaters and Ohio State staff members to help make sure our season runs as smoothly as possible. A lot of the time, I feel like OTL's biggest cheerleader. I tell so many people how amazing OTL is and why they should get involved, help us out and see our shows."-Casey Murray

"I serve on the executive board as the Pit Director, and I am also one of OTL's accompanists. As Pit Director, I audition, rehearse, and conduct the pit for the annual musical. As accompanist, I play the piano for singers in either solos or small group numbers at our smaller events and larger or full company numbers at our larger performances." -Harrison Walsh

"So my role in OTL is Play Director. As Play Director my main job is to oversee the creation of our play, Really Really. In the coming weeks/months I'll be holding auditions and then conducting rehearsals with a cast to hopefully build an impactful production."-Ben Fisher

"I am the Treasurer and Technical Director for OTL, so basically that means I make sure that we secure all the funding that we need to put on our shows and events throughout the year and that for all the shows that require lights or sound that I help to design and organized the tech while giving members the opportunity to help out and learn about the tech if they wish to."- Scott Monnin

"This is my fourth year in OTL and for my first three years, I have been a part of the cast for the musical. This year I have the opportunity to Direct the musical which will be a new challenge but I think it will be a very fun experience."- Joe Compton

3. How would you describe OTL to someone who has never heard of it before?

Off the Lake has a team for Buckeyethon!

"OTL is a theatre organization comprised of students who are passionate about the performing arts and giving back to their community. These students create an unprecedented culture of kindness, support, and positivity that's infectious-- you'll absolutely fall in OTLove." - Sunni Whitmore

"OTL is a safe haven and a magical home on the otherwise vast and cold campus that is Ohio State. Not only is it the only student-run, service-based theatre organization on campus, but it is a source of never-ending warmth and light. This organization will force you to grow and push you in ways that you will never expect. I truly believe that OTL creates better humans, and I feel I am a better one because of my time spent in the organization."- Chloe Hanenkrat

"OTL is a service-based and community-oriented theater organization at OSU. It is entirely student-run from tip to tail, which means the budget, the set, the rehearsals, the service projects, and anything else we do is entirely run by students that are choosing to do this in their free time in between classes, studying, and their jobs. Part of what makes OTL unique is having students this passionate devote such a large part of their time creating something larger than themselves."-Harrison Walsh

"OTL is Ohio State's only student-run service based theatre organization on campus. But it's so much more than that. It's this fantastic little group of students that have found time in their already busy lives to come together to create fantastic art that is extremely enjoyable but also beneficial to the community around us."-Ben Fisher

"If I were to describe OTL to someone who has never heard of it before, I would say that it is an outlet for the artistically creative, to continue pursuing their passions while attending The Ohio State University. OTL allows students of all majors to act, sing, build, play music and create connections with people of similar interests. It is an opportunity to meet a family at Ohio State that prides itself on Theatre and Service."-Casey Murray

"OTL is a group of OSU college students who put on theatrical shows while also building community with each other and doing service for others."-Joe Compton

"OTL is a student-run theatre group where we as a student get to choose and run every aspect of the shows we put on. More than that though, OTL is a family of students who all value theatre as a means of expression and believe in sharing that value with as many students and people as possible."-Scott Monnin

4. What is your favorite thing/experience with OTL?

Hanging out at Back to The Lake

"I love the opportunity that OTL provides to students. The vast majority of our members are not theater or music majors; they are people who are passionate about theater, or music, or service who are looking for an outlet to express those passions. Additionally, because we are entirely student-run, there are plenty of leadership opportunities, and those opportunities grow every year as our organization grows. Watching students start out as wide-eyed first years and transition into leaders of the organization has been a joy to see over the last 4 years."-Harrison Walsh.

"So my favorite part of OTL is the community and the love for the theatrical art form. Before I joined the org I was really struggling with my passion for the art form and was about to give up doing anything with it. But once I got involved and was surrounded by so many passionate people my love for theatre was reignited and I was inspired to continue creating. The people in the org make creating theatre so enjoyable and fun that it's really hard to explain how happy it makes me. But yeah that's my favorite thing about OTL."-Ben Fisher

"One of my favorite things about OTL is the amount of dedication and passion the members have. These students are taking time out of their busy and stressful lives to go to rehearsal every night and build an enormous set every night, to ensure we put on the most amazing shows we can. And the best part is, we want to do it, yes, but we also do it to help the community. The relationship we are able to create with local organizations and charities by doing what we love is astonishing."-Casey Murray

"My favorite thing about OTL is how supportive the members are in everything that they do, whether that's on or off the stage, or is just a project or service that one of the members is passionate about." -Scott Monni""My favorite part about OTL is that everyone involved loves being in the organization and really puts their best foot forward in order to keep a high level of performance and integrity. I love that one night we are belting out musical songs in rehearsal and then picking up litter on the side of the road the next day."-Joe Compton

5. How has your time in OTL affected your life after OTL?

Ensemble girls and Casey Murray as Clopin

"After OTL, I chose to pursue a Master in Public Administration. I ultimately want to work in the public sector with nonprofit development, an interest that spurred during my time as Service Chair in OTL my sophomore year. I found a passion for giving back to people and working for the public, so this experience has shaped a large part of my career goals.

Aside from that, OTL provided me with the leadership skills, confidence, and collaboration opportunities that have been extremely impactful in my development both professionally and personally. I feel confident being one of the youngest individuals in my graduate program largely due to the confidence I gained while in OTL.

Lastly, and most importantly, OTL has truly given me some of my best friends. There are people I could not imagine my life without and they came into my life through OTL and that is something I can never repay."- Sunni Whitmore

"OTL helped me to become more confident in myself and my abilities. This organization has taught me to not only step outside my comfort zone but to leap with a smile on my face and a (musical theatre) song in my heart. I have made friendships in OTL that will last a lifetime, and in those friendships, I have found a support system that I have never known before my time in OTL." -Chloe Hanenkrat

6. What was your favorite thing about OTL?

The cast, crew, and pit of Hunchback of Notre Dame

"My favorite thing about OTL was how it gave me everything I could ever need-- a safe, fun community, a performing outlet, and a way to give back. Every aspect of OTL adds to its uniqueness and impact on its members.

If I had to be specific, my favorite thing was the culture of support, openness, and kindness. I adored the people in OTL, and I've never found a safer space to just be myself." -Sunni Whitmore

"My favorite thing about OTL was the ways that it challenged me. In my time in OTL, I was in many different leadership positions that pushed me in ways no other 'extracurricular' has. It forced me to believe in myself when I otherwise would not have." -Chloe Hanenkrat