An Open Thank You Letter To My Dad

An Open Thank You Letter To My Dad

Thanks dad. For everything.

28
An Open Thank You Letter To My Dad
Connor White

First of all, there are not enough words to thank you for everything you've done for me, and the endless love you've given me.

So let's just start with, mom sure can pick 'em.

I can't explain to you how thankful I am that growing up, I never had to wonder where you were in this world, when so many of my friends lost sleep over that very thing. I always knew you'd pick me up from school in that big white truck, ask me about my day, take me home, and make sure I had some sweet tea after school. You are a constant in my life and you should be thanked for that.

Thank you for always believing in me. I could act and feel like the lowest person on the planet, and you're always there to pick me up again. You always encourage me and help me find what qualities I can be proud of. You tell me I'm hardworking, I have a kind heart, and a humble attitude. But dad, these are the qualities I learned from you.

Thank you for truly getting me. You laugh at my jokes when quite literally, no one else thinks they're funny. You let me pick off things I don't like and put them on your plate at restaurants, without even pausing the conversation. You understand my relationships and friendships, before I even tell you. And you understand my looks from across the room at family dinners. You just get it.

Dad, thank you for teaching me how to be treated. You are the perfect example of how a man should treat a lady. You're kind, compassionate, and understanding with mom 24/7. Your speech is slow and you're always quick to listen (James 1:19). By watching you love her, I know how I want to be loved. You've taught me to wait for a Godly man. I know they exist, because you do.

Dad, thank you for serving our country. Veterans don't get recognized enough, and they should. Thank you for risking your life for this country and for your future family. You really are the bravest man I know.

Thank you for toting me around to practices my entire life. You were an awesome dugout dad, the spectacular speech parent, the best band supporter, and my favorite fan. Thank you for driving hours on end to watch me, even for a few moments, do the things I loved. Your endless support means the world to me.

Thank you for ALWAYS treating me like your little girl, even now that I'm adulting and moved out of the house. I cannot count the times you've driven to my college town to fix my car, bring me things I forgot, or even just have a dinner date with me while I complained about school. Thank you for being my home away from home.

Thank you for knowing how to fix things. I'm pretty sure you took "Dad 101." Seriously. You fix everything. My car, broken hearts, bad moods, computers, everything. You've taught me that nothing cannot be fixed with a screwdriver, a little duct tape, and of course, a whole lot of laughter.

Most importantly, thank you for showing me Jesus and being a servant of God. You took me to church every Sunday. You prayed over every single one of our meals (and still do). You prayed with me before I went to sleep every night. You taught my Sunday school classes. You showed me that not only did I have you, I had a Heavenly Father too. Thank you for that.

Essentially, thank you for being my best friend dad. I could not make it without you.

Love,

Your Little Girl