An Open Letter To Unmotivated College Students

It sucks now, but it's going to be worth it in the end.

6478

Dear Unmotivated College Students,

I know how you feel. You are sitting at your desk with a stack of homework and a large coffee trying to stay awake. You are questioning why you put off all your homework until the day before it's due. You are questioning why you went to that crazy party on Friday rather than finish your online quiz. You are also questioning whether or not you will be able to finish your paper in time.

As the year progresses and you get further into the semester, you consider changing the goals you set for yourself in the beginning of the semester to goals that are more attainable. By this point, you are the queen/king of procrastination and more unmotivated than ever. There are SO many other things you would rather be doing (i.e. going to the mall, going out to eat, watching Netflix.) Sure, those things are great in the moment, but you have to think about your future. That stack of homework is your ticket to a degree. No one wants to read a pointless book or do the Pythagorean Theorem when it has nothing to do with their major, but it just comes with the territory.

When you enrolled in college, you knew you were going to have to get through the annoying prerequisites before you could start working towards your major just as you also realized that your homework load was going to multiple. I understand the feeling of being unmotivated and the hatred for doing things unrelated to your homework, but you just have to fight through it. Think about how good it's going to feel when your desk is clear of assignments. Think about how good it's going to feel when you can watch Netflix without worrying about all the things you still have to do.

When you fight through the unmotivated feeling within you, a weight is lifted off your shoulders and you are free. Sure, another stack of homework will eventually make its way on your desk and you will procrastinate like none other, but you just have to fight through it. Ten years down the road, when you are (hopefully) working your dream job and making a lot of money, you will look back on those tiresome, stressful days and feel grateful that you fought through that feeling of being unmotivated and finished what you had to do.

I get it. It's horrible having to stay in for the weekend and complete coursework.. It's horrible having to tell your friends you can't go out because you have a book to read and two essays to write, but remember: it's all going to be worth it. It sucks now, but all of that stress will be worth it when you are walking across that stage in your cap and gown accepting your diploma. It will be okay and it will be worth it. Fight through those unmotivated feelings within you and just do it.

Sincerely,

A Motivated College Student