An Open Letter To My People

An Open Letter To My People

"I get by with a little help from my friends"

19
Daniella Cattoni

Meredith Grey and Christina Yang introduced the idea of being someone's "person" several years ago and since then being someone's person is a huge honor. Your person is someone you can go to no matter what, someone you can tell anything to, someone you can always count on.

For me, I have more than just one person. Of course I have a person who stands above the rest, but without all of my people I would be a mess. Whenever something noteworthy happens to me I find myself sending the same text message to about five people to get their input.

I need my people to keep me grounded, hold me accountable, and to support me. I am horrible at making decisions so being able to count on these folks to tell me their two cents helps me out a lot. They know how to pick me up when all I want to do is lay in the dirt. They know me in and out and accept my flaws. They put up with my craziness and OCD tendencies and I know that I can be annoying at times. They know me, and I mean really know me, and still love me; that is true love.

To my People

You know who you are and I want to say thank you. Thank you for putting up with me, I know I can be a lot sometimes. Thank you for not leaving me when I was battling depression. Thank you for giving me honest advice and helping me make decisions. Thank you for always being there.

I hope you know how much I love you. I honestly wouldn't be where I am today without y'all. God put each of you into my life at the perfect time and I am so grateful for that. I have loved growing with you guys and seeing all the different directions life has taken us.

Your presence fills my heart with love and joy. You give me hope when I feel like all is lost. You helped me realize my worth and lift me up. So I want to do the same for you.

One of you is going to make an amazing nurse because not only are you committed to your dream, but you're a kind and caring woman.

One of you is going to make a good psychologist because you are good at listening and bringing all different kinds of perspectives to my attention.

One of you is going to be great at whatever you choose to do. I hope it involves people because you have a light that shines bright and brings joy to those around you.

Another of you is going to be famous one day because you go after what you want even if others tell you not to and you keep it real all the time.

One of you is already a great mother and helper to those with mental illnesses. You make a difference in your patient's lives and I've always loved seeing that.

Each of you has you own unique qualities and talents that make you special. Each of you play different roles in my life, but all of you keep me together. You are part of the glue that holds my life together.