An Open Letter To the Kids Leaving the Nest

You've got this in the bag.

59

Yes, that's you. Regardless of your age, whether you're leaving for college or "officially" entering the adult world, this is your time and you have a long road ahead of you. When you're in high school, you hear time and time again how everything changes when you graduate. There's more than a handful of articles of the same nature on here, too, but this one is specifically for the young ladies and gents like myself. This is for the nomads. I'm writing this for the people without a "home" and those who constantly question their purpose. You've held onto your little ball of hope and, while this isn't a promise of an easy road ahead, you're going to do great things.

I'm not about to make this a journal about my "journey into adulthood," because I'm not you, you're not me, and this world full of billions of everything won't create a similar experience for even the smallest grain of sand in the ocean. When I left to drive 1000+ miles away from everything and everyone I ever knew, it was not only for the purpose of obtaining a few college degrees so I could change the world. I left because small town Indiana was full of people I had to avoid, dreams that got shot down, and, simply, people I wasn't similar enough to. My favorite part about life is how diverse everyone can be, but trust me when I say that it's not some extraterrestrial notion to feel out of place where everyone else you know and love calls home. Maybe you're only moving a few minutes away, and maybe you're taking your life days away from everything. Whatever you're choosing, don't ever feel bad for doing what's best for yourself.

The best thing you can do for yourself is follow your gut.

You're a smart person. You may not be an Albert Einstein, but you're doing your best and that's enough. Maybe I sound like a cliche inspirational poster, but I'm serious. Life is a cool adventure, but it has a tendency to throw an abundance of curve balls. You'll find that out soon if you haven't already. As you pack up your things and head down an unfamiliar road, I want you to keep in mind these four things.

1.) You're going to fail, and you might even love it every once and a while. This is not me jinxing you into doom because, if we're being honest here, it was waiting around the corner anyhow. When you arrive at the fork in the road and end up taking the wrong path, make the most of it. There is nothing better than an impromptu life lesson. You're going to thrive from it, even if you won't realize it until later on.

2.) Great stories never come from sitting at home and doing the same things you always do. I'm not here to nag you about spending too much time on Netflix or not having a sun tan, because there are PLENTY of people more than willing to do that. You're going to a new place with new customs, accents, and night-lives. Even if you're comfortably an introvert, I can guarantee you that you'll thank me later for checking out some of the coffee shops, museums, and strolling through the parks or small shopping plazas. There's a multitude of nick-knacks with your name on it. Get up and get out there.

3.) Homesickness is going to happen. Deal with it. I know, you left that place with guns blazing and no intentions of looking back, but there will be a day where you'll miss being able to drive around with the windows down while screaming lyrics with your friends. There's a major difference between nostalgia and the reality of the past sometimes. The best thing you can do for yourself is to fill that yearning with a new adventure. Go for a jog. Read a poetry book or volunteer somewhere. Anything you do (within reason) to get you from this new stage in life to the next is all the more perfect.

4.) Be selfish. Hey, maybe this isn't your first rodeo and this will come naturally. Perhaps you're the queen/ king of all doormats like myself (~Welcome~ to the selfish individual training club). Regardless of what walk of life you come from, it's time for you to wipe off your boots and own your stuff. I'm not saying that you shouldn't hold the door for someone with full hands or anything of the sorts, because life happens and there is more than enough time to be kind. Being selfless is a wonderful skill and characteristic to possess. Selfishness is what comes in handy when you're on your third mental breakdown of the week, haven't had time for yourself, and need to re-evaluate. Truth be told, you have to put yourself first sometimes, because growth doesn't always come from bending over backwards for everything and everyone.

This is your story and your new chapter, friend. There are so many new discoveries you'll make. I don't have the answer to the problems ahead or the key to success, but if there is anything I know for sure, it's that everything that is meant to be will happen in its time. Patience is a virtue, courage is fuel, and kindness is sublime. If you crumble, hop right back up and ask life, "Is that as hard as you can hit?" And get back to fighting the good fight. You're going to meet a whole array of people and discover the coolest places. It's going to be great. You're going to be great. Pack up your bags and put a smile on your face.

You're going to go far, kid.