To The Girls Who Never Gave Sororities A Chance

Sincerely, A future big waiting for her little.

151
uwire.com

Dear skeptic,

Growing up, we were always told not to judge a book by its cover. So why do we feel the need to judge a girl based on her letters? Being a freshman at Purdue, I was initiated into a sorority this past fall and had no idea how many doors I was opening for my future.

A year ago, I believed the myths I’m about to share as well. I fell subject to the rumors and gossip that rang in my ears whenever I mentioned wanting to rush.

I never even gave it a second thought in high school. I was that girl who wore Nike shorts and sports bras every day, the one who preferred no makeup and natural hairstyles. There was no way that I was looking forward to dressing cute in an effort to "impress" thousands of girls I didn't know. Once I joined though, I fell in love with it.

I also learned that there is so much more to joining a house than simply impressing the girls "rushing" you. It is one of the best networking options on campus and I didn't realize how many people I'd truly connect with. Being in a sorority has provided me with a strong path to follow through college and I’d like to address many of the myths giving prospective girls the wrong idea about what it means to join.

So here's to you, yes you, the girl who would rather drink bleach before joining a sorority. Give Greek Life a chance.

Let me start with no, we don’t sit in circles and sing Kumbaya, pay to play with each other’s hair, and party our lives away. My favorite question is, “Did you join a sorority so you can buy your friends because you can’t get them on your own?”

Paying to be a part of my house, is me paying to be a part of something bigger. My dues go toward meals provided, events we hold to raise money for local and national foundations, and towards retreats/socials that offer me opportunities to build stronger relationships with my sisters.

As it turns out, the money I’m putting toward my sorority supports so much more than the sisterhood itself. It also supports our philanthropy and gives back to our community. My sisters and I volunteer at our local Boys and Girls Club every Thursday and I cannot even begin to express the gratitude I have towards our dedication in making a difference. The main idea is that these girls will be there for me for the rest of college and hopefully the rest of my life.

There is not enough money in the world that I could give them in return for their love, company, and support.

A huge stereotype about Greek Life is that all we do is party. No, we don’t get drunk and hook up with guys every time we go out. You might think it’s funny to ask us every time we come home from a party how many shots we took or how many guys we made out with, but it’s not.

Things like that happen at parties, but that’s just how college is. It’s not specific to Greek organizations though, and some people even get involved with those activities in high school. A lot of social events held across Greek communities are super casual and for just getting to know each other or raising money for our philanthropies.

You can, in fact, join a sorority and never see a drop of alcohol. Drinking is not a requirement and I remember having that made quite clear to me when I joined.

The myth I am questioned about the most is hazing. To set that straight, I have never been hazed and I’m a fully initiated member. Now, I’m not saying that it absolutely does not happen at all or anywhere else, but I just want to emphasize that hazing is strictly prohibited within all sororities and that is a highly-broadcasted fact with very serious consequences.

In my university’s rulebook, hazing can be as simple as an initiated member telling you not to do something. An initiated member drinking in the same room as an uninitiated member is also considered hazing. I can’t argue the fact that there have been 125 reported hazing deaths since the 1800’s, but I can speak for the clear majority of Sorority life when I say that we really don’t enjoy belittling or tarnishing each other’s self-esteem. Therefore, hazing is completely irrelevant and unnecessary to us.

“Sorority girls are a bunch of dumb blondes.” This topic frustrates me so much.

For one, I’m a brunette. And second, we aren’t airheads who put our social lives before our school work. We help each other study, attend class together, and encourage each other in our academic studies. Walking into class on the first day and seeing any other Greek letters felt like I had an “automatic friend” in the room even though I had absolutely no idea who they were.

On the daily, I’m surrounded by women with so much ambition and drive that it has motivated me to do better myself. Oh and by the way, most sororities do have high GPA requirements.

Lastly, people seem to believe that sorority girls think they are entitled. Wearing our letters is not an act of defiance or territorial standing, it is simply us representing the organization we are so damn proud to be a part of.

So, yes, my letters are everything. I cannot count the number of times I have heard someone make a joke about the hand signs sorority girls hold up in pictures. Yes, it seems silly to those who are not a part of the Greek System, but it’s important to us and our house’s history. It reminds me that everywhere I go, I am representing my sisterhood and the values we uphold as a powerful group of outgoing women.

Sure, our letters provide us with numerous connections, but we do not receive any special treatment on campus or in the real world either. Honestly, there have been times when I have felt the need to go beyond classroom requirements because I felt as though a teacher had deemed me incompetent simply because I was a part of Greek Life. Therefore, believe me when I say that we work just as hard as everyone else to be successful.

I am surrounded by women who are so different, yet so similar at the same time. You may never understand what it means to be a sister in a sorority unless you join, and I am by no means saying to go and sign up for recruitment right now because, trust me, I know it isn’t for everyone. It is important though, to realize that just because we do things a little bit differently than you might, or we have some habits you may find odd and pointless, doesn’t mean we need to be the brunt of your jokes or gossip. We are not a stereotype; each sister is different and just as important as anyone else. If you take the time to meet one of us and listen to us talk about how much we love Greek life, I know you’ll see us in a more positive and encouraging light.

Sincerely,

A Future Big Waiting For Her Future Little