An Open Letter To The Girl Who Is Waiting

You are not alone, my friend.

1187
Tori Buddenhagen

Dear Waiting Girl,

I get it you've been waiting for the right one. The one you'll marry, start a family with and be with until you're gray and old. You are not alone my friend, so here's to you. Waiting is not easy, it's not always fun but it is worth it. Please hear me out ladies, your waiting season HAS A PURPOSE so here are a few ideas to hopefully encourage you.

First and foremost, know your worth and do NOT settle. I say that wholeheartedly because at the end of the day loving yourself is much more important than having someone just to have them. You are loved, precious and beautiful and do not ever let anyone or anything let you think that this is untrue.

Secondly, everyone else's relationship that you see is their highlight reels. Please don't think that that couple is as perfect in real life as they are through their Insta-filter. I am not saying that they don't have something special but there is no reason to be swooning over their relationship when you're only seeing the best parts. Every relationship has ups and downs so try not to compare please!

Thirdly, work on yourself. I say this with the best intentions. Everyone has something to work on and now is the perfect time. You're single and you most likely (clearly not) haven't reached a Jesus-level of perfection so take this time to figure out exactly what you want. Take this time to learn your weaknesses and your strength in each relationship, both romantic and not, because it will help you grow as a person. Take THIS time to love yourself and really know/find yourself.

Fourth, KNOW WHAT YOU WANT! I can't stress this one enough (and neither can my step-mom who likes to remind me of this quite often). Knowing what you want in a significant other can save you and others loads of heart ache. Here's the catch with this one though, make it achievable. Your standards should be high and you should keep them that way (refer back to number one) but they shouldn't be so high that they are completely unattainable. There are certain things that should not be overlooked (personal hygiene), while there are others (looks exactly like Tom Hardy) that might really narrow your search pool. My suggestion is to make a list of the most important attributes to you and go from there.

With the last point, I'd like to refer back to the whole 'attainable measures' point. Stop thinking that prince charming is a thing because it's certainly not. You are most likely setting yourself up for disappointment and failure (as well as the other person).

Lastly, please please please don't just wait. I know the whole letter is about your waiting season but don't do just that. Be yourself, love yourself, and know that you need no one else to complete you. Be complete on your own and if you happen to find someone who really compliments you, then great but if your waiting season is really really long then that's great too. Don't let society tell you that you have until you are 25 years old to get married, have a career, travel half the world and have two kids. Dance to the beat of your own drum but don't sit around waiting because there is an entire world out there that YOU were made for (not just you and your spouse after you're together).

"I am sure that God keeps no one waiting unless he sees that it is good for him to wait" — C.S. Lewis

Love,

A Waiting Girl.