An Open Letter To The Friends That Are 197 And 523 Miles Away

Because I really can’t be Louis without Harry and Niall behind me (but One Direction circa 2012, not now).

4
Katelyn Johnson

To both of you,

When we separated in August, I did not realize how much my life would change because I wouldn’t get to see you every day. I definitely took seeing you two every day for granted. I need to start off by saying the obvious, I miss you two each and every day. Being far away really sucks when I finally found the best friends I could ever have second semester of senior year.

First, I just wanted to say thank you for being there for me. You both know how difficult it is for me to live so far from my family, but you also know how much I needed to do this for myself. Thank you for answering my texts, phone calls, and FaceTime at really any point of the day. I really could not have gotten through the first half of my first semester of college without you two, and that’s the truth.

You guys really are the best shoulders to cry on. You tell me like it is, but you also care about my feelings so much. You always put my happiness first, but only rationally. You only genuinely want what’s best for me. You always know what jokes to tell me. You always know what pictures to show me to make me laugh. You have the countdowns until we see each other again. Your parents really raised such amazing people, so shout out to them because they sure are lucky to have you two as children.

Whenever I have a mental breakdown (which turns out to be quite often now), you always put out your hands to lift me up. You guys go above and beyond to make sure I am healthy and happy. From texts to phone calls to FaceTime, you guys are absolutely amazing when it comes to talking to your favorite North Carolina girl (although I will always be a Jersey girl and so will you two).

Thank you for being my cheerleaders. When I tell you I’m doing a million things and I’m super stressed, you still believe in me. You know I can do it. You let me reach limits above and beyond what I thought I could do, then you applaud me for all my accomplishments. From directing two shows senior year with many difficult classes to juggle to getting into my number one school, you guys have really cheered me on for everything. Not many people do that for me, and I am eternally grateful for you two being in my life.

The one struggle I’ve always had with friends is keeping them. You both already know this. For some reason, I always get the short end of the friendship stick. You guys never see me for the material things and you never call me a princess, spoiled brat, or any other thing that the wrong friends have decided to call me, which I really appreciate. You dismiss what I have and just look at me and my personality, which has never happened to me before.

You guys love my parents SO much. You know my parents are my best friends, and you’ve taken the time to make them yours too. They love you and you love them. I know that if I’m unhappy and my parents text you, you will be right on it. Also, my dad does not like to offer drinks (non-alcoholic, of course!) to just anyone, so I’m glad it’s you guys (especially when he is very aware that you are driving).

Thank you for actually liking the person I’m with. I’ve have suffered through the “too good’s” and “not meant to be’s” for far too long now. You gave him a chance. You actually can hold a conversation with him. You wanted to get to know him because your best friend could not just be with anybody, you had to approve of him.

But to both of you, I want you to know that you are good enough to achieve everything you ever dreamed of. I don’t just choose anyone to be my best friend. My best friends are superheroes. They can do anything they set their minds to. But if everything fails and you feel like you’re falling apart, just know that I will always be there for you with my Hyundai Sonata at 10pm ready to go to Inkwell because those fries really can cure anything.

Also, shout out to One Direction because why the heck not? Let’s remember that time, because without it, we would really have nothing to laugh about and our friendships really would never have formed. If you don’t think that is the funniest thing ever, then you’re crazy.

Thank you for all you do. I’ll see you in December (because vacation during Thanksgiving is cool too I guess). I can't wait to hug you!

With love,

Baby Kate