An Open Letter to the Friends I've Lost Along the Way

You'll always have a place in my heart

303

That’s what everyone always says that "friends come and go." But why is that? Why is it that people who meant so much to us at one point in our lives turn into complete strangers. It’s incredible to think about how many people can walk in and out of our lives like nothing ever happened. I never would have thought that you would be one of them. I never would have pictured my life without you in it. What once used to be a friendship full of laughter and love, now is an emptiness filled with questions and confusion.

I used to wonder what it was that made us fall apart. I wondered if there was something I could have done to keep our friendship as strong as it once had been. I asked myself over and over, “Could it have been the distance between us?” “Was it that we just didn’t have much in common anymore?” “Was it my fault?”

I understand now that friendships fade away. Not all relationships are made to last forever. Sadly, ours was one that just wasn’t meant to be. It wasn’t anything that you or I did. It wasn’t an argument or anyone’s fault. It was simply that we grew apart without even realizing it. Our lives went in two different directions.

Sometimes I see pictures or posts that remind me of you and I miss the friendship that we once had. I think about what you have been up to and if you are happy with the life you are living. I sometimes wonder if you ever think about what is going on in my life. You used to be the first person I would go to if I had big news or just wanted someone to talk to. We were once inseparable and now we haven’t spoken in over a year. How can that be? It’s crazy to think that you once knew every little thing about my life and I knew everything about you. There are things you know about me that, to this day, no one else knows. Now we live completely separate lives, almost as if we had never met.

I have no hate or anger toward you. We grew apart and that is okay with me. The memories we shared, and the lessons we learned throughout our friendship, helped shape me into the person I am today, and for that, I am forever grateful. While we may never cross paths again, you will always be a part of my life. Although time and distance may have separated us, I will always care for you as if nothing had changed.

I realize that life had separate plans for us. I respect the fact that we may never get back in touch. But I want you to know how much the time we spent together meant to me. There is not a thing in the world that could take away the friendship we once had and the amazing memories we made together. You taught me so much about myself and about how to love others that I could never forget you.

While friends may “come and go,” you will always have a place in my heart.