An Open Letter to the Friend I Never Thought I'd Have

Friendships can happen in the strangest ways

251
WikiHow.com

To the friend I never thought I'd have:

Back when you first came to my high school, you were on the football team and hung out with the jocks all the time. I thought you were one of those people who would make fun of me and berate me. But, I was wrong

We had English class together our senior year and we sat next to each other. I honestly can't remember who made conversation first. But, I think it was me. It was about you taking off a necklace that wasn't allowed with the dress code. Yeah, that was it. What a weird thing to start a conversation off of.

We talked on and off for a few months and weeks after that. It was during that time where I realized that you weren't like the other jocks. You were different and I started to realize that at the end of that senior year. I started to realize that not all the people we went to high school with were bad, and you were one of them.

Your friend that I can really count on. We may be total opposites personality wise, but, somehow, we click and get along extremely well. I can tell you things I don't tell many others. You broke down that wall that I usually keep up and I let you into my life. Turns out we have a lot more in common than I ever realized we had in high school.

You helped me through my first break-up, through one of the worst times in my life three years ago. You helped me when I was on my Disney internship and was feeling sad as all these so called friends I had at that time kept leaving one by one out of my life. When I thought my whole world was falling around me, you were still there to keep me sane... sort of.

I can talk to you about real issues. You are real with me no matter what the topic, which is something I respect. If I get too overbearing, you tell me and let me know kindly. Most people whom I've had in my life have never done that for me before, so that's another reason you mean so much to me.

You mean so much to me because we confide some real dark stuff between us. We know each other like the back of our hands. If you told me in high school that I was going to be friends like this with you, I would have laughed in your face and said, "Oh he'll never like me."

You've stood up for me. Something I will always remember. When you, my good friend, says that you are proud of me, it means alot coming from you, because I truly respect your opinions and thoughts, even though we may disagree on somethings. We can have intelligent debates where no feelings are hurt.

I just want to end this by saying Thanks. Thanks for being like a second brother. I love you like family and I hope that we never grow apart. Thank you for being part of my life. I honestly can say this friendship we have is one I hold most dear to my heart. A friendship I never thought I'd have with you.