An Open Letter to the Coworkers Who Become Our Greatest Friends

We get through it all together.

104
pinterest

To my coworkers,

We are all gathered here today under one common purpose: we need money. Some of us are broke college students. Others are broke high school students on their way to becoming broke college kids, and some are done with school and just need money, but nonetheless, we are here to work and receive a paycheck. But I just want to thank all of you who make working a great experience because you're not just my coworkers, you're some of my best friends.

The day I started working, I never thought that I was going through an experience that would allow me to meet such amazing people and make some great friends. After training and working with the same people consistently, you get to know each other real fast. It's always hard to tell when, but one day between shifts, suddenly these people mean more to you than just those you encounter when working.

We go through the tough days together. Work isn't supposed to be easy, but there are nights and shifts where situations get really sticky and suddenly everyone's running around as if they've lost their heads and forgotten how to do their job. It's in these times that our teamwork and cooperation get us through; we can sit back and laugh about it later. Through all the frustrations and stress of work, thanks for enduring it with me (also I don't know who I would complain and rant to if I didn't have you).

Among the great people of every workplace, there are the not-so-great ones. From the unpleasant coworkers to the unhappy customers, if I didn't have all you I don't know if I could get through my shifts. I can grit my teeth, smile and nod through any demand or conversation knowing full well you have my back and can help me through anything.

Work is a fun place when you're around, and it's a disappointment when you aren't working. We're a team. Through all the holidays we've been stuck working together and the summer nights we've missed out on, I'm glad we got to do it together. We make the best of working and end up hanging out after or between shifts because you are the ones I want to spend time with now (like we don't see enough of each other at work).

For the times when the dream team is scheduled together which equates to the perfect night. Or the days our supervisor questions if we've known each other since birth. And the times when our inside jokes and obnoxiousness drive everyone else crazy. Thanks for all the great times, memories and stories from work. You're the reason I can say I love my job. Coworkers by chance, friends by choice.