An Open Letter To The Black Community, From A White Girl Who Is Sorry

I am sorry that I am white.

I am sorry that my skin color allows a separation between you and me in the eyes of so many.

I am sorry that no matter how much I try, I will never truly be able to understand the fear and the judgment you live with every day.

I am sorry that you are not always considered equal, even though you comprise of as many bones and memories as me.

I am sorry that my words do not carry enough weight, leaving me helpless among family members who make prejudiced remarks.

I am sorry that you have to observe me to see if I am someone who accepts you or not.

I am sorry that your children have to grow up cautious of things that I did not have to be cautious of.

I am sorry that you are referred to as "African American" when you are as American as I am.

I am sorry for Emmett Till.

I am sorry for Tamir Rice.

I am sorry for Trayvon Martin.

I am sorry for George Floyd.

I am sorry so many more were lost when it was not their time.

And I am sorry to the families who will never be the same.

With my deepest condolences,

A white girl who has never understood the chaos born from the color of your skin